• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats your thoughts on larger rims on Muscle Cars?

railrider

Reaction score
I know this is like walking into a gay bar and yelling bottoms up, but whats your thought on larger rims on a Mopar? (be nice) lol :acme:

I am starting to like the looks myself. If done right that is. ? This car has a 18 x 7 on the front and a 19 x10 on the rear with no modifications to the body to make them fit.
70Bee1.jpg

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Maybe I'm too set in my ways, but I just cannot get used to thin sidewall tires on cars of that era! I remember guys going for the day two look were putting bigger tires on their cars. I think that the thicker tire added to the idea of "muscle," in the muscle cars of the day. To each their own, but I don't think I'll ever be able to accept that look on any car of that era, muscle car or not. :cents:

railrider

Reaction score
I always thought Mopar put the smaller 14" factory rims with thin tires on the cars because they knew most people would want to add their own style of rims and slicks anyway. Usually a Cragar or a Keystone classic. Most Mopars I have owned have had 15" Police Wheels, or Cragar SS wheels. I am considering going a different route than I have ever before this time.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
That Bee is the one Jack Irons did for the magizine writer Can't remeber his name??

Jack said he was going to first show it at the Nats.

Anyway when I was at Jack's place and he asked me what I thought of the rims/tires and I said Not my style.

He said that's what he wanted and that's what he got.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
They probably would catch the attention of younger people much more and you could always put together a set of retro wheels for cheap and switch them every now and then to suit your mood. The new wheels may not have very good driveability from what I've read but I don't always believe everything I hear. either way it would make your car a little more different from the rest (myself included) .

A31PKG

Reaction score
Sorry, it's just wrong...

Even so, I can't help but wonder how my grandfather felt when my dad put baby moons & wide whites on his '40 Ford.... :lol:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
I've seen worse wheel combos as far as rim size. I just think they look inappropriate, but I tend to be old school. Do I think that car just looks terrible with those wheels? No, but I wouldn't do it. 16" rims would be the limit - and I personally would not go with 16s....

railrider

Reaction score
abodybill said:
That Bee is the one Jack Irons did for the magizine writer Can't remeber his name??

Jack said he was going to first show it at the Nats.

Anyway when I was at Jack's place and he asked me what I thought of the rims/tires and I said Not my style.

He said that's what he wanted and that's what he got.

Yeah I got the pictures on Mopar Muscle Facebook page. They emailed me the sizes ect.. I am thinking Cragar SS wheels only bigger. Also want larger sidewalls on mine. I am not looking to get attention form anyone but I do want something I have not already had. I did a 67 Mustang Fastback Resto Mod a few years back and was pretty happy with it. I used a 16" back then. The nice thing about wheels is they are easy to switch!

shelbystangatpark.jpg

moparchris

Reaction score
:george: It looks okay. I hate the fact that the street rod crowd mixed with the donk crowd and have ruined many a good Mopar. To each his own.

railrider

Reaction score
It is really no different than when the Pro Street thing was hot, and everybody tubed them and had a blower sticking through their hoods, or the 80's teal green and Pink paint phase. lol I like the cars original too, but if they were all mint originals it would become a little boring. Imagine if all Model T's were left stock. Just want to mix it up a little. Maybe I am just in the wrong place.

A31PKG

Reaction score
railrider said:
It is really no different than when the Pro Street thing was hot, and everybody tubed them and had a blower sticking through their hoods, or the 80's teal green and Pink paint phase. lol I like the cars original too, but if they were all mint originals it would become a little boring. Imagine if all Model T's were left stock. Just want to mix it up a little. Maybe I am just in the wrong place.

Naw...
You're in the right place... :thumbsup: These cars ain't gonna grace the garages of us "old guys" (speaking for myself, of course) forever. Sooner or later a new generation of enthusiasts will be sitting behind the wheel. My only hope is that the appreciation for how they once were remains strong. The era of American Muscle Cars is very precious to us... it is a time that we simply can't get back. As stewards of these amazing automobiles, we must never forget the look, the sound, the smell...you get my drift.

:soap: :cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
don't care for lt myself. but you might not like how l have the back of my car ln the air. your car do what makes YOU happy.

Back