• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel and Tire combo – Suggestions/Comments?

CompSyn

Reaction score
This is in regard to my 69 Road Runner. I know many will recommend the tried and true 275/60 15 (rear) and some other smaller tire up front combo, which looks great, but I’ve already done that with a 68 Charger I once had. With my Road Runner, I’m leaning towards something a little different.

Here are some of my thoughts:

I’ll probably go with modern BFG radial TAs. Not opposed to polyglas repros, but a little costly for my blood.

I also want the same tire size at all corners.

According to Kelsey Tire Inc., the F70/14 Goodyear polyglas tires that came factory on my Road Runner have a diameter of 26.45” inches.

According to BFGoodrich, the P245/60R 15 Radial T/As tires have a diameter of 26.6” inches, which is nearly identical to the diameter of the factory F70/14s.

Using the vexer visual speed calculator, at 65 mph, P245/60R 15 tires spin the rpms to 3240 with 3.91 gears. With the F70/14s, it’s about the same at 3250 rpms. Incidentally, an A12 Road Runner with 4.10 gears and G70/15 tires run the same 3250 rpms at 65. Maybe I’m reading into it too much, but perhaps this is a formula favored by the Chrysler engineers? I’m already liking this idea.

A couple questions:

I believe my parts manual calls for a 40 tooth speedo gear for the F70/14s, which I think is close for the P245/60R 15 tires. But I also saw a chart where at a 26.8” inch diameter tire, I should be at a 38 tooth speedo gear. Should I stick with 40 or go with a 38?

Also, BFGoodrich says the P245/60R15s can be mounted on 7”-8.5” inch rims. So should I go 7” inch or 8” inch?

Any other Suggestions/Comments?

Thanks!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
BFG's look great I can't bash them for anything but traction. They do go up in smoke nicely

droptop

Reaction score
BFG tires are junk in my opinion. Loud, harsh ride, and poor traction. The last tires I bought are Cooper Cobra's. A lot better ride, quiet, and hook up a lot better compared to the BFG's. I am sure the softer compound will not last as long though.

SgtLee511

Reaction score
Just wanted to Drop my two cents in about the Cooper Cobra, I used to work for Cooper Tire, The Cobra is a good tire. I put a set on my Duster in 1993 drove it 6 months and parked it, leaving the it parked in the garage undriven or moved until 2013. TWENTY YEARS LATER, The tires did not dry rot, they did not have any flat spots on them. I started driving the car to shows again, and the occassional burn out. They appear as good as they day I got them, just slight discloration of the white raised letters. Almost unbelievable, but Im still driving on them good tread. Its Crazy.....

djais1801

Reaction score
cooper cobras are a great tire, less expensive than the BFG's...and EVERYBODY has BFG's. I ran Mickey Thompson S/T's on my 'Cuda...they were priced evenly with the BFG.

I am procuring my wheel set up now. I have 15x8 (rear) and 15x6.5 (front) steel wheels, and I am weighing out price options to see if I can swing redline tires, if not I am going with Cooper Cobras and use the saved $$$ elsewhere in the refreshing. I plan on 295's rear and not sure on fronts...215-245's.

CompSyn

Reaction score
Here's another option I may consider when the time comes.

I already have a complete set of factory correct 14x5.5" inch steel wheels and "PLYMOUTH DIVISION" dog dish hubcaps.

The closest match to F70/14s is P215/75R14.

The only P215/75R14 tire I can fine that are passenger car rated is made by Hankook, the Optimo H724. $61 dollars at Walmart with free store pick-up.

These particular Optimo H724s have white side walls.

Something I might try if I end up going this rout is painting the white walls red with Ranger Tire Paint - http://www.rangerpaint.com/

There you go, supper cost effective retro F70/14 Redlines :groucho:

Worst case scenario, the red tire paint looks like crap, simply turn the black walls out.

djais1801

Reaction score
please keep us posted if you go that route!
Here's another option I may consider when the time comes.

I already have a complete set of factory correct 14x5.5" inch steel wheels and "PLYMOUTH DIVISION" dog dish hubcaps.

The closest match to F70/14s is P215/75R14.

The only P215/75R14 tire I can fine that are passenger car rated is made by Hankook, the Optimo H724. $61 dollars at Walmart with free store pick-up.

These particular Optimo H724s have white side walls.

Something I might try if I end up going this rout is painting the white walls red with Ranger Tire Paint - http://www.rangerpaint.com/

There you go, supper cost effective retro F70/14 Redlines :groucho:

Worst case scenario, the red tire paint looks like crap, simply turn the black walls out.

1baddogg

Reaction score
I am fixin to buy a pair of 15x7s and 15 x10s , and will prolly buy the Cooper Cobras , been looking at them this week and very affordable plus look real good , . prolly 265/70/15 on rear and 225/70/15 on front . think that tire size will work ?

moparchris

Reaction score
15x7 for a 245 tire. I disagree with everyone else. I have used BFG for years on my musclecars and my daily drivers. I find that they are quiet, hook hard with a good amount of heat, and last a long time (40K on my Dakota, went through 4 sets). The 245 is a little big for the front. I would say move down to a 225 but make it a 70 series instead. Thats what was on my Super Bee when I got it.

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
I actually like the BFG's too, don't have any issue with cornering traction or any real noise,
albeit any street tire goes up in smoke with 600hp/600fttq, from a standing start, with out slicks/Drag Radials

anyway
15's give you a far better selection, than the OE 's are
& not obnoxious as some of the really big hoops...LOL {although I like some of them too}
I have 15 x 7" {BS ?} {true mounting surface is 6.5"} front with BFG p245/60/r15
15 x 9.5" {5.25" BS IIRC} {true mounting surface is only 9"s} rear with BFG p295/50/r15
Halibrands {knock offs} made by Edlebrock some 11-12 years ago
they have a really thick wheel lip, is the only thing I don't like,
I don't think they even make them anymore either...

I like the late 60's early 70's vibe it gives off...
Different strokes for different folks...

I personally like a wider tire on the rear, a little LA rake/nose down slightly towards the front
I live in the Sierra mountains, allot of really curvy & some really rough roads too, need a little sidewall,
I like my car to handle as well as look good standing still, in the corners, going straight down the road/track...

sorry photos are old too...

opinions vary vastly, I like aftermarket wheels, some bling, much better than most OE stuff too,
I do really like the Kelsey Hayse wheels thou...
Depends on the car & the type of build, wheels are really a personal choice,
I'm a day 2 kind of guy...

68 RR Edelbrock Rear Wheels & Tires 15in x 9.5in. 5.25in BS #1.jpg

68 RR #17 Apr 26 2011.jpg

68 RR 295-50-15 Radial TA on Edelbrock 15 x 9.5in w-5in BS outer clearances.jpg

68 RR 295-50-15 Radial TA rear Tire #2.jpg

68 RR #15 Apr 26 2011.jpg

68 RR #9 Apr 26 2011.jpg

Rim Kelsey Hayse Speciality Wheels Ltd..jpg

Rim Halibrand Wheel advert. #2.jpg

Last edited:
Back