• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wheels and tires

amigocarl

Reaction score
I want the tallest and widest tire I can get under the rear of my 69 RR. I have the stock 14" rims but am considering some Weld or Centerline. How to choose backset and what is the best choice for wheel diameter. Obviously tire availability is a concern. I realize there are many options, mine priority is keeping the price as reasonable as possible. I want my car to look period correct "hotrod" not modern so I guess 15" rims ??.....Also 5.5 backset 295 tires ??

Goon

Reaction score
I have Mickey Thompson Drag Radials on my 69 RR
295/65R15 on 8" wide rims with 4 1/2" back spacing
30.1" tall
11.8" wide
It makes my car sit to high in the back. Only went this tall to lower RPM's. Going to invest in a Gear-Venders overdrive & go back to shorter tires.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well from what I see on mine is that 10 inch wide is about all I can get in the tub. We jacked up the backend in the day to put wider tire's on stuck out past the finder well. But if you hit a hard bump might destroy the tire or bend the fender well. Going to put 10 inch on mine and 8 inch wide on front 15 inch rims on back will have off set. Hope this help's Russ. :wave:

quikbird

Reaction score
Avg wheel diameter with tire for stock is about 26 inches. Whatever combo of wheel size and tire sidewall height gets you about that size means your speedo will still be accurate. If you change them you will need to change the little sprocket in the tranny. That said 10 inches is about the max width without changing tubs or spring location. 5.5 inches I think is the backspace. Basket would say the only wheel for that look would be a crager 5spoke. Keystones look good too.

Coyote

Reaction score
Avg wheel diameter with tire for stock is about 26 inches. Whatever combo of wheel size and tire sidewall height gets you about that size means your speedo will still be accurate. If you change them you will need to change the little sprocket in the tranny. That said 10 inches is about the max width without changing tubs or spring location. 5.5 inches I think is the backspace. Basket would say the only wheel for that look would be a crager 5spoke. Keystones look good too.

Not just Basket! Crager S/S BELONG on '60's cars! And that's a fact!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Cragar SS
Slots
ETs
Keystones all fit the Day Two look

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I had ET on my charger. Cragar SS on our race car. Slotted are more stable with lots of tork. Saw a set of Cragar SS one was broke away from the rim. I have ET's on my trike bought them in the 70's Aluminum mag with a fin like pattern which kind of looks like spoke's at a glance. Would prefer a solid mag for drag racing stronger over all. But that is my opinion. Russ. :cartman: That darn Universal broke again. Spicer what.

Back