• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheels

Whichb Wheels Do You Think Look Better?

• Total voters

Ranger

Reaction score
What size and backspacing did you go with?

Not sure about back spacing. They where purchased by the PO and both sets came with the car.
I had considered selling the Cragars at first and a potential buyer asked for some dimensions. My notes are 9" wide and 4.25 deep if that helps any.

The Cragars are 225/70/15 (front) and 245/60/15 (rear).

A12

Reaction score
Any ideas on how this was possible without modification to the inner or outer wheel wells???? :confused:

Y4_A12_RR_rscrp_001.jpg

Y4_A12_RR_rscrp_001.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Air shocks, but the upper shock support was a bit weak, not a good idea although many did it. Also trim or bend the lip and some rolled a baseball bat between the side wall and quarter to gain clearance.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Air shocks, but the upper shock support was a bit weak, not a good idea although many did it.

Yeah, the guy who I bought my RR from back in '73 did that. The shock support did break and to fix it he just drilled holes trough the support and trunk floor and bolted it up. Doing that tore the chit out of the trunk floor. So I had to replace the support.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I have run air shocks for 30+ years. the main thing to remember is when the tag on the shock says 150psi maximum...that doesn't mean that is how much you put in just for some rake!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I have run air shocks for 30+ years. the main thing to remember is when the tag on the shock says 150psi maximum...that doesn't mean that is how much you put in just for some rake!

But that also means that the owner needs to have some common sense to not over pressurize the shocks which is very lacking these days!!

Last edited:

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with either the Cragers or the Road Wheels/Magnum 500's

I prefer the Cragers myself

BabyBlue68

Reaction score
Stock vs. Aftermarket

When my wife and I were newlyweds in the late 1970's I drove a 1970 GTX which came with two sets of wheels when i bought it. I agonized over the situation, and finally removed the set of 1965 Hurst Mags, and replaced them with the factory road wheels. After considerable nagging from my spouse, I sold the Hursts for 50 bucks to a guy with a Pinto who wanted cool wheels with a Ford bolt pattern. Of course the Hursts are worth more today than I payed for the GTX, which was 100% stock and still numbers matching when I sold it in 1981. I still have the same wife, but the wheels are a sore point to this day. Stock vs. Custom- not an easy choice.

Back