• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When to put the engine and tranny in?

JJRJR

Reaction score
Guys,

What is typically done with the installation of the engine, tranny, etc.? My body guy asked if I wanted to wait until the car was completely done (interior, paint, etc.) then put engine in, or for him to get the engine compartment ready and have drive train installed, fix the bugs; then send back to finish the body work, etc.?

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking it may be better to get the engine in and make sure it's all good earlier rather than later.

Thanks,

John

railrider

Reaction score
There are pros and cons to each. The main con is that once it is on there its harder to keep it clean from over spray and filler dust ect.. :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
have everything all painted then drop the engine in/drivetrain....interior can be done after that
That's odd I agree with Georgie :basketcase:

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's what I'll do. Gonna get all the dash done with electrical, etc. Paint the engine bay, then drop in the engine/tranny, then back to finish interior.

Best,

John

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
george68hemirr said:
have everything all painted then drop the engine in/drivetrain....interior can be done after that

Imagine how I feel; I agree with both of you... :lol:

Although I would add one thing: Put the engine on the K-Member and shove it in from the bottom. That's the way that they did it on the assembly line...which means there is a good reason for doing it that way... :yesnod:

:jester:

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
george68hemirr said:

Imagine how I feel; I agree with both of you... :lol:

Although I would add one thing: Put the engine on the K-Member and shove it in from the bottom. That's the way that they did it on the assembly line...which means there is a good reason for doing it that way... :yesnod:

:jester:
I have to disagree with all three of you , just to be disagreeable :jester:

Back