• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do the tank vent lines go?

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
The short vent line came with a clip.
Can't figure where it goes if not in one of the holes on the shock absorber cross member.
It appears the long vent line from the trunk goes on the outboard nipple.
And this short vent line goes on the inboard nipple.
Inside the tank I think the outboard nipple feeds a short tube and the inboard nipple feeds a long tube.
Screenshot_20230607_180410.jpgScreenshot_20230607_180426.jpgScreenshot_20230607_180440.jpg

Screenshot_20230607_180502.jpg

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
So the clip must go in the top hole.
It seems to be at the correct place.
My car came with that long line 180 to a hole on the right side.
Darned factory manuals.
The stainless lines I got came from Fine Lines and it's got the same bends.
And I'm pretty sure it won't work the other way.
Tomorrow I'll try again.
Edit.
It's the sort line to long line and long line to short line.
The inside of this tank is correct.
Stainless. FT6011C
That same tank has gone up 30 percent in 3 years.
Inflation is real.
Still, that clip must go in the top hole?
I often wonder if any two cars are the same on the small stuff.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Long and short of it pull the filler neck and look into the tank is the quickest way to see which is which. With my car jacked up in the back still had the problem with fuel coming into the frame rail vent that came up into the trunk. Since have had to block off those lines due to fuel ran out of my frame rail in front of the rear tire. Now have a vent line I put into the filler neck 1/8 inch nipple with a green hose hooked to it running behind the bumper and back over the fuel tank and up to the shock tower. I wanted that 60-70 look to the car that we got with shackles and air shock we got back in the day. Oh well chasing another rat down the hole. Darn aftermarket junk.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Russ,
My impression is the short line inside the tank is at a higher position in side the tank than the long line that runs back to the fill neck.
IF you had fuel coming out the short line from inside the tank and exiting the long line, the fuel level must have been high enough to cover the intake AND there was some issue that allowed pressure to "pump" fuel out the long line into your frame rail.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
This is true. I now stop fueling when the pump kicks off instead of trying to put more fuel in the tank hence forth topping off the tank. That was part of my mistake. Live and learn. LOL.

cosgig

Reaction score
I’ve been having a problem with raw gas fumes entering the car. Now mind you, I have rust in my rear quarters so I know fumes can come up through the trunk, but this is raw gas fumes. And the wierd thing is that is didn’t start when I changed the tank and lines a few years ago, it just started recently. I’m thinking about swapping my lines on the tank to see if that helps. No dripping gas that I can see. What do you folks think about that?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if the frame rail line is leaking into the that area. This is odd that you went two years and not have the smell. Wish you the best of luck fixing it. :beep:

mr4speed

Reaction score
Gentlemen please clear this up for me, my after market tank that i just bought leaks when I fill up, out of the frame rail my sending unit has two outlets need pics! thanks

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Mr4speed you must have put a 3/8 sending unit in if it has a vent. These were used on 440 and Hemi cars as a return line from the vapor seperator at the fuel pump. It would use a 3/8 fuel line and a 1/4" return line clipped to it. If you are not using it just cap that one off. Post #2 explains the rest.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
If it's leaking out of the frame rail I'm thinking it's the long line from inside the trunk dumping into the frame rail.
I have no practical experience yet with this system but after evaluating the Chysler designed installation I suspect the same as Russ'.
Something pressurized his tank to pump gas out the long trunk line when the internal connection to that line has fuel over the opening of the associated internal line.
On a positive note the fuel sock is actually visible from the filler neck on a 69 model.
I played "find the fill place" with the grandkids yesterday.

mr4speed

Reaction score
you are correct 69hemibeep i did cap off the second hose but that still does not answer about the other stock 2 vent lines i capped one the other goes up into the to the trunk ?

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
To be clear.
Not sure what you are asking.
The gas tank has two vent line nipples.
A 3/8 pickup has 1 extra thing.
If not needed cap the fuel pickup extra thing.
The 2 nipples on the tank need external vent lines as previously explained.
If factory venting is expected.
20230318_170433.jpg20230318_170421.jpg

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
No fair.
Your body got a retaining clip for the vent line on the inner wheel well.
My 69 St. Louis freak didn't come with that.

Reaction score
hey is that pic of a stock vapor line? any idea where to locate replacements including the trung grommets? I have a 70 the old system is gone . stock style tank . 383. but im getting bubbling and condensimg vapor in both lines. to the dripping point/ temp on outside of tank was,126! so im gonna insualte but can understand why its pushing out the lines? unless it was always a bad design. but now how do i stop it

Steve

Reaction score
hey is that pic of a stock vapor line? any idea where to locate replacements including the trung grommets? I have a 70 the old system is gone . stock style tank . 383. but im getting bubbling and condensimg vapor in both lines. to the dripping point/ temp on outside of tank was,126! so im gonna insualte but can understand why its pushing out the lines? unless it was always a bad design. but now how do i stop it

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
This seems to be an ongoing problem. Think it is the new fuel we have to buy. Have not checked but must be ethanol has a lower boiling point than the gas we use to buy. I drilled a hole in my filler neck put an 1/8 inch nipple in it and ran a green line behind the bumper up along the gas tank up high and then to the shock tower. Had to plug off the? mark looking vent line. When filling the car stop when the pump kicks off and do not keep trying to top off the tank.

Reaction score
well im pulling the return line. Holley and the specs now say i don't need one and not to run it. its built into the in-tank pump. I also ordered an OE-style return, the long one. I am gonna hook that up. close off the other vent nipple. I am using now a vented cap and will insulate the rear and sides of the tank next to the exhaust. That can't hurt I believe.

Back