• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Engine to build for RR

joewhite440

Reaction score
I am just looking for opinions. I have a Steel Crank 440 and a original 383 HP out of a 69 RR. The guy we got the 383 off of said the car was junked. I posted the vin on Moparts lost and found a good while ago and no responses so I believe the original car is gone. Wish some one would do that with my original engine. Anyways, which one do you guys feel I should rebuild and put in my car. I have built quite a few engines so I really do not need any help there. Just looking for opinions. So which one and should I put a 6pack on the 440 if you choose it?
A friend of mine still has the set up off my Scamp I use to have in Picture below. Maybe I could get them back. I have always raced 440's and 400 stroker engines. I have built 474,499,511 strokers but I do not want to do that with this car

PS; If I could afford a Hemi I would not be asking this :drool:

Thanks

Joe

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no substitute for cubic inches... :banana: :cheers: :banana:

:jester:
ACME

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my last road runner had a rebuilt stock 440, 4 speed, 3.55s. Blast to drive. This one has a 383, 4 speed, 3.23s. Still fun to drive. All depends on what you want. I'm past the stage where I need to peel out at every stop sign, but........I do tend to do it when the mood sti=rikes. which it does :drive: I drive my car alot in the spring thru fall. So I never wanted a really big horse engine for daily use. If you tend to do weekend type driving, then the 440 6 barrel might be the way to go.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Bigger engine = less strain. A mildly cammed 440 6 BBL setup would be a real nice cruiser. If you want to stay "original" the then 383 is of course the way to go. You can still make good power from a stock cammed 383 - as Mopar Muscle demonstrated. 9:1 compression, stock 906 heads with a 3 angle valve job, stock rocker arms, stock cam, Mopar M1 single plane intake, Demon 850 carb and a set of Hooker headers all produced 400 horsepower on the dyno. That's not too shabby for a stock cam motor.
I've had 383's and 440's in my time. Both are nice.

moparchris

Reaction score
I vote for the 383. I have owned several 383 cars and 440 cars. I have also owned some high horsepower cars as well. Now that I have said that, I like the character of the 383. The 383 is a little more high strung and has a sound all its own. I also like to put the stock size engines in my real muscle cars as well. Its your car do what calls to you. Seeing what you have built in the past I have a feeling it will be far from stock! Just my :cents:

joewhite440

Reaction score
My original intent when I bought the car was to go with the 383HP. I bought one out of a 69 Roadrunner with the vin stamped to prove it. But when I could not find the Fender Tag, Build Sheet or any other information on the car I started questioning myself. I tried for a year. I found the two previus ohio owners and their addresses. Neither one is there anymore. Tried facebook and all the trace sites on the internet to find no leads. So I have decided to just sell the 383HP shortblock and the new Air Cleaner Tin I have bought and through that money at other things if it sales. That stuff just is not moving over the last few months. I listed it on here and Moparts.

I will go with the 440 and try to talk my friend out of the sixpack stuff. If not I know how to make them run. My last RR 440 I sold it to my Brother in law and it runs 10.75 in his Duster and it weighs 3200#. Not bad for a street engine.

Thank you all for your imput. You guys are good to jump in when needed :thumbsup:

Joe

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
My last RR 440 I sold it to my Brother in law and it runs 10.75 in his Duster .....

WELL YOUR NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY WITH ANYTHING LESS :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

joewhite440

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
My last RR 440 I sold it to my Brother in law and it runs 10.75 in his Duster .....

WELL YOUR NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY WITH ANYTHING LESS :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

Yes that is what I was thinking!!!

Joe

Back