• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is better: 4spd or 3spd?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Yeah - mention Ronnie Sox to the Mopar faithful and you get the same reaction Black Bart did in Blazing Saddles when he mentioned Randolph Scott! :worship: :worship: :worship:
:lmao:

GTX MATT

Reaction score
Big John said:
4 speeds are fun, but automatics are consistent, a little easier on the drivetrain and just about as fast if set up right.

Given that everybody isn't Ronnie Sox, the auto takes that part of human error and skill (or lack of) out of the equation. Read that as a poor driver with an automatic will beat a poor driver with a 4 speed.

Its really becomes more personal choice. I've owned both and like them both, but my preference is for the automatic. I have mine set up the way I like it with an ancient Fairbanks kit and cut down governors. It will behave itself in traffic and at WOT it has a hard 1-2 shift and a solid 2-3 without any overlap. I can let it shift itself and it will shift at WOT around 5500 RPM. I have a modified 11" convertor (another ancient Fairbanks piece) that might get replaced with a 10" depending how I finally decide on the engine "package" this time around.

A buddy of mine used to have a stock '69 Runner that he bought with the engine and trans toasted. He went through the engine and kept it stock, the trans he had fun with (he was a Chrysler transmission tech). He worked with Fairbanks, which was local as he lived in Stamford. The transmission shifted so hard that the car literally jumped sideways on the 1-2, as he says it didnt just chirp second it EMULSIFIED second gear! It shifted so hard that the next owner couldn't take it and had to return it to stock!

Back