• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

which radiator are you using ?

V269

Reaction score
I'm looking to put a different rad in my bird. The one that is there now is only a 2 row and I would like at least a 3 row to help cool in the hot weather. I'd kind of like to put an original style in but have heard of some people using aluminum rads. What do you guys think of them and what do you use now ? Does anyone have a 3 or 4 row rad for sale ? Mine is a 22" rad. I would rather not change the rad yoke as the car is all painted now. I thought of having it recored but was told the bottom tank is not wide enough to do that. Any thought's. :popcorn:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
you could get a Modine radiator from NAPA or really shot your wad and buy a aluminum BECOOL radiator....summit/jegs..the stock style should work fine with what you have :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mine has a 22" without a shroud. Does OK, but when I had it at the cruise at Heath, it got hot fast in the standstill traffic. My other runner had a thre core 26" without a shroud, and it would warm up in stop and go, but not as quick as this one. I'd like to try a shroud, but for what they go for, I might just go with a 26.

glhcarl

Reaction score
I have a 22" with no shroud and even in really hot weather, 103 degrees at the Nat's several years ago, no overheating. It get up to just over half on the gage if I idle for a few minutes then drops right down was soon as I start moving.

moparchris

Reaction score
I have a 22 incher as well with no heating issues. Radiators vary greatly and with all the different possibilities of motors and cars the possibilities are endless as far as getting adequate cooling. I would start with a good radiator and have it cleaned out and have a good shroud and clutch fan. Then go from there. You would be surprised at how good the factory engineered parts work.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I do need to try a factroy fan. Mine has an aftermarket plastic flex fan. There was a chrome four blade in the trunk if anyone likes extra chrome.

dobie

Reaction score
22" rad with no shroud. Stock fan, etc... Absolutely zero problems so far. Back when my 383 was bone stock, she ran 160deg when warmed up, even in hot August temps at a stand still. This past year after the new cam, headers, etc., she now runs 180deg, even when standing still.

The one issue I've never had (yet) is overheating. :huh:

zupanj

Reaction score
I had a stock 22" when the 383 was in the car and never had it come close to overheating. When I put the hemi in I had to make a couple of decisions on which way to go with the cooling system. I ended up putting in a 22" radiator from US Radiator. It is a 4-core triple flow radiator and so far it works great. There are baffles in the tanks to make the coolant circulate though the core three times before exiting. I am very happy with it, the only comment is that it was expensive, about $500.

Jack

Roadcuda

Reaction score
zupanj said:
I had a stock 22" when the 383 was in the car and never had it come close to overheating. When I put the hemi in I had to make a couple of decisions on which way to go with the cooling system. I ended up putting in a 22" radiator from US Radiator. It is a 4-core triple flow radiator and so far it works great. There are baffles in the tanks to make the coolant circulate though the core three times before exiting. I am very happy with it, the only comment is that it was expensive, about $500.

Jack
Considering what you spent on that monster motor Jack, that seems like cheap insurance!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got some 26" job in Bambi that I THINK originally came out of a C Body. Her original (as far as I know) 054 came in the trunk and needs to be re-cored. For something that I don't care about originality on - I like aluminum radiators - the good quality ones; not those cheap, chinese, epoxied ones on e-bag. I have aluminum Be Cools in a couple of my other cars and I love them. Throw on a couple of thermostatically-controlled electric fans and you can turn your attention elsewhere because cooling is no longer an issue. :cents:

ACME

V269

Reaction score
Thank's fellows for all the responses. Yes I too have a shroud with a stock 7 blade fan on my rad . The rad is not original to the car either so replacing it is not an issue just want to cool it a little more. It has never boiled the rad or anything like that but it does run up to 195 to as much as a slight bit over 200 after a while of driving in the warm weather. I believe I put a 180 deg thermostat in it when I put it together. I also used an aluminum water pump and housing with the vane pump but did not help alot with the cooling. Looks good though. :thumbsup: I would like to use a stock looking rad if possible but might consider an aluminum one as they are quite reasonably priced. Just trying to get some input from others on this. I can get one for about the same as having mine recored. Just waiting for Christmas to pass before I start getting serious about it. :beep:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I have a 26 incher that was jammed in there by a previous owner. Works pretty well, even in the 22 inch hole. Not cut out.

I had to put a 190 stat in to get the car to run better. Was too cold otherwise. The 440 I used to have in it didn't run hot either.

John69RR

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
I have a 26 incher that was jammed in there by a previous owner. Works pretty well, even in the 22 inch hole. Not cut out.

I had to put a 190 stat in to get the car to run better. Was too cold otherwise. The 440 I used to have in it didn't run hot either.

Mine is identical except I'm using a 180º thermostat. I was surprised how easy the 26" fit with the 22" cowl.

jays69bird

Reaction score
I've got a stock 22 incher with no shroud,I was surprised since my car was sold in Downey Calf. new,but other than some creeping in heavy traffic its fine.one thing thats important is using good coolant and keeping it fresh by changing it every so often.

a6t9vette

Reaction score
do either of you guys running a 26" radiatior in a 22" opening have any pictures, currious to see how it looks fits, as im considering doing the same thing....

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I have a 26" in my car. And by going to this site, http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/referen ... rguide.php I was able to determing that this rad came out of '67 C body. I have a 160 thermostat in it alonbg with a Flowkooler high flow water pump. While it runs around 180 degrees while driving, I have had issues with it overheating when stuck in traffic. But I'm now thinking that alot of that was caused by the timing issues I've had. I'm hoping that since I have a better handle on the timing, that it will help the overheating problem when stuck in traffic. I've included some pics of the rad in my car. I hope they help.

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Where there hole avaliable to use or did you just drill new ones to mount? Is it centered in the opening, or is it offset?

Roadcuda

Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
Where there hole avaliable to use or did you just drill new ones to mount? Is it centered in the opening, or is it offset?
This was in the car when I bought it. You can see in the lower pic in the set of pics, that it is off center. They used the original mounting holes on the left side, (see pic,) and it appears that they drilled 3 new threaded holes on the right. No nuts are needed.

Back