• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will not turn over with the key in the start position

dhansen_69RR

Reaction score
Hello to all! I've seen this issue a few times on my RR. Not often but it does happen. I can go crank the car with no issues and drive around and come home and park the car. The next time I go out to crank her no sound is made when I turn the key. The power comes on and the gauges start working but the car will not crank. I usually wait several minutes and try again and it cranks right up. It seems now it's winter and I just drove the car around for several hours last week. I tried to crank her two days ago and no luck. I'm on day 3 and still no luck. I've had a few people say it might be a ground issue. Any one have any pointers on where to start or look to see what the issue could be? I'm hoping once it get's warmer it may crank. That just might be my own hope and dreams :) lol

Thanks!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
It could be a few things. Battery connection at the starter, the starter itself or most likely it's the starter relay.

Check the starter relay first. When it doesn't start, find the two large connection on the starter relay and jumper those. I usually use an old screw driver, but a quarter will work too. If the starter doesn't work, it's something else.... If it works... It's the starter relay. Buy a new one from NAPA.

Big John

Reaction score
BTW, the starter relay is mounted on the firewall and not the starter....

mcmopar

Reaction score
Yup. And you may want to remove the starter relay and check to see if there is any rust on the firewall behind where the relay sits. The starter relay on mine is self-grounded - in other words it does not require a ground wire from the relay to a ground point. If there is any rust on the firewall where the relay sits it might not be getting a good ground. If you do replace your present starter relay be sure to get one that looks like the one you have presently. I have bought relays purportedly for a 1969 model that have a ground post on them which means you need to run a ground wire from the post to a grounding point somewhere else. My car (4-speed) does not have a ground post on the starter relay. Maybe the automatics do? Not sure. Can anyone chime in on this one for my edification?

dhansen_69RR

Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments! I did a quick look at the starter relay and made sure all the wires had solid connections. I did notice that the POS+ battery cable was only about half way down the post on the battery. I took it off and made sure to get it on all the way this time. After that it cranked on the first try (I tried cranking it right before checking the wires and re-seating the POS+ post cable and no luck). I will keep an eye on it and if it happens again I will remove the relay and make sure it has a good ground connection.

Thanks!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sometimes you do get lucky. we thought the starter on The Boss's Intrepid was going. When I was changing the battery and the radiater before Christmas, i found the wire going into the + charging post was ready to fall out. crimped it good and problem solved.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
don't know what we'd do without you (sure like to try though):bart::bart::bart:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My car (4-speed) does not have a ground post on the starter relay. Maybe the automatics do? Not sure. Can anyone chime in on this one for my edification?

Interesting thought, John. I'm curious too now...:popcorn:

Big John

Reaction score
Yup. And you may want to remove the starter relay and check to see if there is any rust on the firewall behind where the relay sits. The starter relay on mine is self-grounded - in other words it does not require a ground wire from the relay to a ground point. If there is any rust on the firewall where the relay sits it might not be getting a good ground. If you do replace your present starter relay be sure to get one that looks like the one you have presently. I have bought relays purportedly for a 1969 model that have a ground post on them which means you need to run a ground wire from the post to a grounding point somewhere else. My car (4-speed) does not have a ground post on the starter relay. Maybe the automatics do? Not sure. Can anyone chime in on this one for my edification?

The ground post is for the neutral safety switch in an automatic car. On the manual relay, the post (or tab) is there, it's just bent over and spot welded to the outside case where it grounds out to the body.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I used to grab relays from automatics at the boneyard. used to see new ones on junked cars. just ran a ground wire.

Back