• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield wipers help

cj69RR

Reaction score
Here is my issue, haven't had to use the wipers until today. They do work high and low speed but they do not shut off unless you turn the car off. I'm guessing the wires are not hooked up right? Any help with this? Thanks in advance.

A31PKG

Reaction score
9 times out of 10 when wipers do not park, it is a bad wiper motor. There is an internal switch in the motor that constantly closes and then opens when the wipers reach the cowl (park) position. This internal switch is by-passed by the dash switch to keep the ground circuit closed and wipers "on". When the switch is off, the by-passed ground path is opened, the wiper motor switch contacts remain closed, and the ground path remains closed, the wipers continue to operate until the wipers reach the cowl position then the contacts open and the motor stops.....

....in theory anyway....

You didn't say what happens when just the wiper switch is turned off... Do they stop regardless of position?

cj69RR

Reaction score
When the wiper switch is turned off they do not stop. But turning off the ignition they do stop. Turn the ignition back on and the wipers do go to the park position. Haven't got to look at it yet.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
forgive me for not remembering...I just finished my 7th miodnight and I'm still in a fog. was your car recently painted? maybe the motor needs the ground cleaned?

cj69RR

Reaction score
Got behind the dash and the switch had one of the brown wires off. So I'm guessing that the wires are in the wrong location. Anyone with a wire diagram for the wipers?

Back