• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winshield Removal for Dummies... or by a dummy...

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
OK.. its a little difficult to remove a Roadrunner windshield. Years ago, I had a windshield guy show me a few tricks of the trade and I've had pretty good luck since then.

First, and even though I'm not a "numbers" freak, I took a pic of the date code because you never know.

2008_0901Stuff0017.jpg

Next there's the removal of all the chrome. You use a KD-tool #2037. I've bought and lost about three of those over the years. Usually I lend it to someone and forget who has it... but whatever.

2037.jpg

You use the bent end to get down under the chrome and unlatch the clips. Its another one of those things that some Chrysler engineer is still laughing about. Then you take the end with the little ball on it and stick that into the gasket and pull it all the way around to unlock it. Spray the gasket with your favorite spray lube (I like PB-Blaster) to help it release.

Then you get in the car and lay on your back and gently push against the windshield with your feet being careful not to......

2008_0901Stuff0029.jpg

crack it... :eek:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I do believe you use a tool to cut the sealant first, Same as the back glass. Mine came out ok but it has rock chips in it. :rolleyes:

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
My back glass has what appears to be the scars from a grinder or sander of some sort. I'm thinking there's no way they're ever coming out. Do they even make a back glass new for our cars?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I believe they do, the same outfit that does the date coded windshields. I can find the info later today if nobody gets to it before me. I had some pretty deap DA sand scratches in mine from a repaint and my buddy polished them out. Look for a glass scratch removal company that does residential and business windows and ask them. Auto glass is harder but it can be done :beep:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Try O.E.M. Glass see if they have it. I know they have windshields and will date code them! :cheers:

Big John

Reaction score
The back glass is glued in. A strip of butyl rubber goes around the window and seals it in place. You just slip a piece of music wire through the butyl and saw it through all the way around the window. Then you use a new strip of butyl to install it.

The front windshield is held in by a rubber gasket making it a bunch harder to take out.

Plymouthfan: I may have a back glass for a Roadrunner. Let me check.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I remember when we were parting out a couple of '68-'70 Chargers in the '80s. I had no idea how to remove glass. so after the trim was off, I just got in the car, and pushed with my feet. worked great on the back glass. not so good on the windshields...........
and I had a really nice back glass for Freebird (guess where it was). the one in it had all kinds of sanding marks.

and I think the Tech section's name should just be "Ask Big John" :worship:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
While I don't have to worry about changing any glass for now, it is good to know if I ever need it. But what it really tells me is, if I ever need to change some glass, I'll have someone do it for me! :jester:

Big John

Reaction score
Wow...there's only a few threads older than this one... And then that's only by a few days.

Rocket

Reaction score
I decided to let a pro do it and it took them 3-4 tries to get it not to leak. They even broke the glass and had to replace the new one. I'm glad I decided to get them to do it.

quikbird

Reaction score
Well, I've read the thread. It is really starting to look like I may need to remove and replace the front glass on my bird. Are there any extra suggestions from the group before I try this?:confusion:

Rocket

Reaction score
Well, I've read the thread. It is really starting to look like I may need to remove and replace the front glass on my bird. Are there any extra suggestions from the group before I try this?:confusion:
It looked like a PITA but I think if I had someone help me I could do it. I'd see if a local window company could do it. It was worth the $250 because I know i would have broke it just like the installer did.

Back