• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Storage Question

mcmopar

Reaction score
The best way to store the wheels/tires is too take them off the car and stack them horizontally once the car is up on the jack stands unless you can roll it around while its in storage. You won't flat spot the tires with them off the car.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
The best way to store the wheels/tires is too take them off the car and stack them horizontally once the car is up on the jack stands unless you can roll it around while its in storage. You won't flat spot the tires with them off the car.

John, what the heck are you doing doling out all of this advise on winter storage? Years of experience from all of those harsh Orlando winters, eh...???!!! :lmao:

:jester:
ACME

Steve

Reaction score
I don't store my car at all during the winter.After the first salting of the roads the car is garaged until Spring but I reverse it up and down the driveway 2-3 times a month to keep things from seizing and to get the oil sloshed around and up to temperature.I have a spare set of wheels for the winter so my shiny cragers live in the house with me(car would too if it would fit)

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:

John, what the heck are you doing doling out all of this advise on winter storage? Years of experience from all of those harsh Orlando winters, eh...???!!! :lmao:

ACME

:D I do a bit of reading...also, that's the way I store my 14" wheels and tires.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
All I do to my cars for the winter is fill the tanks, check the antifreeze and make sure it's good for about -15 degrees, cause it nerver gets that cold around here, and disconnect the batteries on both cars. I've never treated the gas and have not had any problems starting the cars the following spring.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
All I do to my cars for the winter is fill the tanks, check the antifreeze and make sure it's good for about -15 degrees, cause it nerver gets that cold around here, and disconnect the batteries on both cars. I've never treated the gas and have not had any problems starting the cars the following spring.

same here. if it's a sunny road salt free day, I'm goin'n for a ride.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Here in Winnipeg (we call it winterpeg) which is the second coldest city in the world next to Moscow, we've kept the cars in storage each winter without jacks and have never had a problem with tires. But the ones we use to go to work at -55 are interesting.... they get a flat spot frozen into them overnight. It takes a few hundred yards of interesting driving for them to get round again.

CWR

Reaction score
Do all you southern guys use antifreeze year around?

mcmopar

Reaction score
Yup - because its coolant, too and it gets plenty hot down here. Plus, if you don't you'll get rust in the system real fast.

CWR

Reaction score
Antifreeze also lowers raises boiling point of the coolant. Am I right?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BBillyC said:
Here in Winnipeg (we call it winterpeg) which is the second coldest city in the world next to Moscow, we've kept the cars in storage each winter without jacks and have never had a problem with tires. But the ones we use to go to work at -55 are interesting.... they get a flat spot frozen into them overnight. It takes a few hundred yards of interesting driving for them to get round again.

When I was in 4th - 6th grade we lived in Fairbanks, AK. My dad had an old '60 Phord P/U that he drove to work. On "cold weather days" (minus 30 F to minus 48 F - at minus 49 F they cancelled school) he would drive me to school. That thing would shake you out of the truck until the tires loosened up... :lol:

jays69bird

Reaction score
CWR said:
It's not quite that bad but we do have a long cold snowy winter on the north shore of lake ontario
It ain't to great on the South shore either! :snowball: The plowtruck gets a work out,and I switch hobbies and drag out the vintage Ski doo's and bother the guys on the doo board :lmao:

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
i dont jack up my car at all....never had any flat spots on my tires at all
thats because you take the flat spots off like in your pic!LOL

Back