• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Storage Question

CWR

Reaction score
Being in the great frozen north with 10 months of winter and 2 months of bad sledding i have a question. My mechanic told me I have to take the weight off the suspension by putting 4 jack stands on the frame and just taking the weight off the suspension with tires still on the ground, It will be my first winter Garage is dry and not heated. Any thoughts?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a few ideas...but it is a little early in the year to start :acme: anyone about putting up with crappy winter weather... :lmao:

:jester:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
CWR said:
Being in the great frozen north with 10 months of winter and 2 months of bad sledding i have a question. My mechanic told me I have to take the weight off the suspension by putting 4 jack stands on the frame and just taking the weight off the suspension with tires still on the ground, It will be my first winter Garage is dry and not heated. Any thoughts?
if you going on jack stands you may as well get the tires off the ground too....moth ball in the car also to keep out the mice...thats what i do....duck tape on the exhaust tips also....had gravy train fly out one year when i started it up....sta-bil works too[fuel stabilizer]....dont forget anti-freeze too :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
This kind of thread means its almost time to come out and play :banana: If you don't have rodent problems(Sturat) or moister, just get it in the air with the tires off the ground check your anti freeze and add fuel stabilizer :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
This kind of thread means its almost time to come out and play :banana:

that heats gotta be a bitch were you are...so when its winter here its summer there....whats the temps say around january???

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:

that heats gotta be a bitch were you are...so when its winter here its summer there....whats the temps say around january???
70s :D we get about 7-8 months of good weather.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
CWR said:
if you going on jack stands you may as well get the tires off the ground too....moth ball in the car also to keep out the mice...thats what i do....duck tape on the exhaust tips also....had gravy train fly out one year when i started it up....sta-bil works too[fuel stabilizer]....dont forget anti-freeze too :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I think george hit this one to a tee...........even for an uncoordinated guy, I think he's got it together....... :lol:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:

70s :D we get about 7-8 months of good weather.

man thats sounds like perfect weather except for the desert.....cruising for 7-8 months....thats too cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
george68hemirr said:
CWR said:
I think george hit this one to a tee...........even for an uncoordinated guy, I think he's got it together....... :lol:

gee tanks :D

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

Does that mean that the Jeep is about to come out of hibernation? Man, I'd love to tag along out to the dunes sometime and watch the action...That has got to be a BLAST!!! :D

Is there a schedule posted somewhere or is it just fly by the seat of your pants every weekend during certain months?

CWR

Reaction score
Any particular area on the frame.....ahead of the rear axle?

mac

What ?
Reaction score
the 2 things that i use in my car for the long winter is fabric softner sheets and irish spring soap. lay those out in the interior and so far knock on wood no critters. test your antifreeze and a full tank with some stabilizer. also remove battery.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

Does that mean that the Jeep is about to come out of hibernation? Man, I'd love to tag along out to the dunes sometime and watch the action...That has got to be a BLAST!!! :D

Is there a schedule posted somewhere or is it just fly by the seat of your pants every weekend during certain months?

I am taking my 4X4 jeep to northern AZ to play in the cinders(volcanoes) about 8000 ft this weekend. The dunes are thanksgiving new year presidents day and a few extras Thats in the 2wd jeep :D

george68hemirr

Reaction score
CWR said:
Any particular area on the frame.....ahead of the rear axle?
yes ahead of the rear axle and behind front wheels on frame...thats what i would do but i know somebody else will chime in with a different idea :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

CWR

Reaction score
It's not quite that bad but we do have a long cold snowy winter on the north shore of lake ontario

V269

Reaction score
Hey Wayne, I have the perfect solution to your winter storage. Bring it over to my house and I'll store it in my shop beside my car. Bookends right. :thumbsup: :beep:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
CWR said:
It's not quite that bad but we do have a long cold snowy winter on the north shore of lake ontario

sounds like plattsburgh ny....was up there when it was 55 below with the wind blowing off lake champlain when we had winters back around 1970 when i was stationed there :eek:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I put the jack stands either right in front or right behind the places where cross members meet the longitudinal frame - right behind the front wheels and right in front of the rears near the front leaf spring attachment point.

Jim S.

Reaction score
CWR said:
Right or wrong, here is what i do. Plastic sheet on the concrete floor, stapled to two walls and duck tape the rest. Battery out. Stabil and a full tank of good gas. Moth balls around the perimeter walls of the car. Moth balls wrapped in rags for the tailpipes (steel wool rusts). Two boxes of dissacant (the stuff used in gun safes) in the interior. Afraid to use moth balls there, because of the smell. I just roll it once a month for the tires. I don't jack it up. Varying opinions on that. When a NHL team skates the cup, it is time to take it out again.
(probably be less work to just heat the garage)..........Jim

Back