• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wiper motor install

Bill Monk

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been on here but I have a 69 and had to replace the wiper motor. The car originally had a 2 speed and was changed to a 3 speed. When I took the old 3 speed off, I found that they didn't bother changing the crank arm and bushing. Anyway, heres the question:
What is the best (easiest) way to put the new stuff back together? To get it off, I took the radio out and backed the nut off the motor. A pain, because my arm is bigger than that opening but I got it done. If I move the wipers up on the windshield, I can get access to the crank arm and should be able to get the retainer and bushing off from under the hood I think to change to the correct crank arm, but then I'm trying to figure out how to get the crank arm and nut back onto the motor. Can I do that from under the hood as well or is there a better way (or order) to get this done without having to stand on my head or taking the whole dash out?
Pictures would be awesome if you have them
Thanks in advance!
Bill

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I think all of us have that problem with arm's and hand's too big to fit where we need to go. I had my dash out before removing the wiper motor. So it made it easy. Think I will install it before putting the dash back in and windshield. Nothing comes easy. But their is more room on these runners than on those little compact cars form over seas. Good luck maybe some one will have an answer for you. Good luck.

Big Mo

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been on here but I have a 69 and had to replace the wiper motor. The car originally had a 2 speed and was changed to a 3 speed. When I took the old 3 speed off, I found that they didn't bother changing the crank arm and bushing. Anyway, heres the question:
What is the best (easiest) way to put the new stuff back together? To get it off, I took the radio out and backed the nut off the motor. A pain, because my arm is bigger than that opening but I got it done. If I move the wipers up on the windshield, I can get access to the crank arm and should be able to get the retainer and bushing off from under the hood I think to change to the correct crank arm, but then I'm trying to figure out how to get the crank arm and nut back onto the motor. Can I do that from under the hood as well or is there a better way (or order) to get this done without having to stand on my head or taking the whole dash out?
Pictures would be awesome if you have them
Thanks in advance!
Bill
My friend and I just put mine in today. My dash is also out. I don't think it can be removed other than under dash. My car is a 68 so maybe a 69 could be different.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Don't think their is any difference in a 68 to 69 on the wiper motor location. Good to have the dash out gives you more room to work. :thumbsup2:

dmartin

Reaction score
I don’t think you can get the bushing out under the hood cause the arms are still attached

Back