• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wire harness replacement

69RRrestoration

Reaction score
I am bringing my 1969 RR back from the neglection space in the garage. It has been sitting since December of 1994. I have stripped the car getting it ready for some body work and returning the paint to the original B3 blue. Since the car is stripped I was going to replace the wiring. Can anyone give a suggestion on a wire vendor?

V.R.D

Reaction score
m & h is one sold at year one and there is another maker it slips my mind look around at the vendor list on hear and look at for b-body only also

WWheeler

Reaction score
M&H is what I have on mine. Everything seems to look ok and I would buy again. Customer service is also good.
I tested and matched all the connections old versus new per the wiring diagram. All good. When testing, I put 12V to the rear light harness and had a short in the left parking light. I found one stray wire strand had strayed from inside the socket. Replaced that and now all works fine. Best to test everything you can before the first crank up. With a complete resto there will be issues. Just a matter of what and how many.

BB Beeper

Reaction score
I bought a new harness from Kwik wire, 14 circuit, all well marked. Got rid of the firewall connector, as previous owners had it pretty hacked up.
If it was salvagable I would have used it, but to take a chance on a possible wire harness fire, was not worth the trouble. I had some questions and the owners were able to answer right away. Small family operation based in New England.

Bahnliebger

Reaction score
Restoring a classic car like your 1969 RR sounds like an exciting project! When it comes to rewiring, it's essential to choose high-quality wiring components to ensure reliability and safety for your vehicle.

Flying Kiwi

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just bought a full harness from American Autowire for my 72 I hope this wasn't a mistake as no 1 has mentioned them. Also is the replacement a job I could do or should it be left for the pros.

quikbird

Reaction score
Pull the front seat kiwi. Much more comfortable under the dash. You will be there a while. Auto wire is one of bigger company’s so all good. Biggest problem is adapting a newer harness to older connectors and layout such as light switch etc. get a wiring diagram of your car and spend some time thinking about which circuit to use for what. It’s doable just try to plan ahead.

Flying Kiwi

Reaction score
Cheers Quikbird, I feel much better now knowing that. I got new switches light fitting etc with it. as a man once said " just do it" or was that a lady. cheers again

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
One piece of advice. Don't throw anything away until the job is completed. You might need an example or a hard-to-find connector.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I bought mine from American Auto Wire I haven't installed it yet so I can't attest to the quality. I've heard Painless is a real pain for Mopar's. It seems theirs is a little to generic.

Back