• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring issues with my Roadrunner

medic11

Reaction score
OK, here it is. I'm posting some pics of the hood. I've put these up on a few forums and apparently the wiring is shot to hell. I took it to a local guy that can redo all the wiring, upgraded and improved, not original or stock. Without actually getting into the car, just by looking under the hood he's thinking between $1500 and $2000. I've seen his work on other vehicles and I must admit I'm impressed. Steel braided hoses, wiring is squared away. Thoughts or advice?

DSCN0736.JPG

DSCN0734.JPG

DSCN0737.JPG

V269

Reaction score
Gee, that sounds like a lot of money to me. Does everything work now ? If so why don't you tidy it up yourself. Amazing what a little new wire and some black tape will do. Or you could buy a new harness and install it probably for less than that. Or go to a salvage yard and see if you can get a harness in decent shape out of a donor car. Just seems expensive. Maybe someone else can shed a little more light on this for you.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
V269 said:
Gee, that sounds like a lot of money to me. Does everything work now ? If so why don't you tidy it up yourself. Amazing what a little new wire and some black tape will do. Or you could buy a new harness and install it probably for less than that. Or go to a salvage yard and see if you can get a harness in decent shape out of a donor car. Just seems expensive. Maybe someone else can shed a little more light on this for you.
:yeathat: way too much money.....it is time consuming and you can do all this yourself if you are handy

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
waaaaay too much $$$$
like the others said, hit the local boneyards for a harness, or even getting a brand new harness would be cheaper. But before buying new, as long as everything works, look the harness over. b ut just need to retape and loose any uneeded wires. the main thing that looks like a problem is the wires look like spaghetti. spend some time, and run the wires together, retape them, group them with some small zip ties, and loos the red wire loom. Mine looked like this when I got it, and in a couple of hours of retaping and rerouting, things looked alot neater.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of money to me too... but ... if he's making it from scratch and rewiring the entire car, then that's a lot of work and so that's probably the right $$.

IMHO, chances are just the engine compartment and front lights are the only thing bad. The rear lights etc. are usually left alone by the former owners and therefore not hacked up. If it were me, I would buy a Year One harness and replace the underhood harness. A little patience, some pictures as you go and if you are at all handy, it will go fine.

I wouldn't bother with a junkyard harness. By the time you patch it up, if you even find anything to begin with, you'll be farther ahead to go with new.

I'm redoing the wiring harness in my 53 Chrysler. It looked like this:

2012_0822Stuff0003.jpg

2012_1204Stuff0003.jpg

2012_0822Stuff0017.jpg

moparperf

Reaction score
I used new wiring harness from year one. They just plug right in, and they fit perfect. It cost about 1200 to do the whole car.

medic11

Reaction score
OK, thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to try to do it myself, but can the engine compartment be rewired without taking out the engine and gutting the bay or without taking out the dash? I don't have the tools or time to pull everything out, but I don't mind digging around under the hood and tracking down wires either. Sounds like a fun learning experience. Hooah.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah it's pretty simple. under the master cylinder on the firewall is the bulkhead connector. there are three plugs. One os for the front end wiring(headlights, turn signals) the other is for the engine, and the third IIRC is the trans? Check here on the tech section, there is a wiring diagrahm.

moparstuart

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
yeah it's pretty simple. under the master cylinder on the firewall is the bulkhead connector. there are three plugs. One os for the front end wiring(headlights, turn signals) the other is for the engine, and the third IIRC is the trans? Check here on the tech section, there is a wiring diagrahm.
correction third is for the wiper motor

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I have saved myself money by retaping and no you do not need to pull the engine to take care of the engine bay harnesses. On the fire wall next to the master cylinder you will find a connection block for you headlites, windshield wiper motor, and the harness for the engine that connects to your voltage regulator, distributor, and horn. Just make the disconnects and remove them. Hooah!

medic11

Reaction score
Good stuff, thanks for all the replies. I found a harness for $100 on Year One. A lot cheaper than the $1500 offer from the mechanic. Looks like a good deal. I'll post some after pics when I finish.

440Kilmartin

Reaction score
bought a new wire harness from yearone ..best 100 bucks i spent. i did purchase and convert my car over to the 1970 ignition harness with the chrome ignition box and dual field alternator/regulator. starts easier, runs better, brighter headlights :thumbsup: solved alot of wierd electircal problems with my car

4spd69RR

Reaction score
That's good to hear, my old Runner was dual points and I always hated to adjust them. My new Runner is all electronic!!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Now get another throttle spring on there and you're all set. I might stroke out if see another pic with a set up like that on there.

Back