• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring Question

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Well Im almost ready to install my "hidden sterio" as part of my interior redo winter job. Im looking to find a power supply for the amp (100W, just enough to power the front and two rear speakers). I found one small enough that I can fit in the glove box which should keep everything nice and neat, and just run a wire from it to my iPod in the ash Tray.

Im trying to avoid running the power cable to the battery in an effort to keep the engine compartment somewhat stock looking. So I was thinking about just putting a lug on the end of the power wire connecting to the Starter relay on the firewall. This always has 12V as its connected directly to the battery and should be large enough (guage) to accomidate that relatively small load of this 100W amp. I plan to have a switch tucked under the dash to break the remote line in essence allowing me to turn on and off the audio system when I want. So I dont ever picture having the sterio on and starting the car. Any thoughts on this, or alternatives would be appriciated....

Since I know I owe some pics, here is one right after the rip out. Just about done refinishing the dash, but havent gotten pics yet...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The fuse block in the glove box would be the best source, but what gauge wire does the amp recommend even the fuse feed may be to light :popcorn:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The starter relay is a good spot, another is the power terminal on the starter.

Put a fuse or circuit breaker in the line.

I don't think the fuse block feed wire will be large enough for the current needed, plus it has to go through the ammeter.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
I AGREE WITH WHAT THEY SAID AND YOU COULD ALSO UPDATE YOUR FUSE PANEL..ONLY 42 YEARS OLD....instead of going with a painless $200-$300 fuse panel you could rip one out of a late model car/truck. thats what i did after i lost my lights one night :D

coyotekiller

Reaction score
if you hook up the power wire for the amp to the starter relay wire there is a good chance you will get interference. you will hear the motor through your stereo

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
The starter relay is a good spot, another is the power terminal on the starter.

Put a fuse or circuit breaker in the line.

I don't think the fuse block feed wire will be large enough for the current needed, plus it has to go through the ammeter.
Good point I missed the ammeter, also I hope you have more than a 37amp alternator :yesnod:

Back