• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Won’t consistently start.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ok if you have battery to the relay then it is the starter or wires to the starter

the longhair

Reaction score
There is power at the relay, is there supposed to be power at the starter with the key off?

dmartin

Reaction score
As long as those wires are hooked up to the starter it’s hot, that’s why you usually have a plastic cap over the stud

road robert

Reaction score
No more click? Nothing now? I recently bought a '71 rr 4 speed that would intermediately not start - cold or hot - NO CLICK - NOTHING, then it would suddenly start (scary but never left me stranded). It is either the clutch interlock switch (under the dash attached to the pedal linkage) or in my case the connector from the fusible link was toast (see pics). I replaced the spade connector on the fusible link wire and put a terminal lug on the starter relay (both properly crimped) and problem solved! Mine was just dead when I turned the key - no click...

Burnt Fusible Link Connector 1.jpg

Burnt Fusible Link Connector 2.jpg

Starter Relay.jpg

Dan Kiewicz

Reaction score
I was just about to suggest the fusible link. My first 69 had an issue just like this and then it let go. Check it out.

Back