• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Won't start.....

Russ Hood

Reaction score
So I purchased a new radiator shroud. Got in a hurry and after receiving from FedEx I realized it's for a 26" and I have a 22" radiator.

So I started re-installing the fan. Bumped over the starter to get the two bottom bolts on top for easier tightening. I then attempt to start the car and just hear a thump under the dash when turning the key and the alt meter goes left . The battery is good and I installed a new voltage regulator. Lights work etc. Still the same problem.

Suggestions to check please.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Can't even imagen what would make a noise like that. I loosen my fan belt and turn the fan by hand. Are you sure your not hitting the shroud or something else making that noise. Put spacers on my fan to clear the new A/C compressor heard a noise when the motor revved up sounded like a fan belt or like that. NO the fan was hitting the front of the compressor. So had to get a bigger spacer. Then after installing it heard a tic tic. Like some one was tapping a nut on a piece of metal. After further inspection now the fan was hitting the shroud. So had to take and 1/8 inch off the 2 inch spacer now all is good. Maybe some one else has an Idea of what is going on. Hope you find it.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Thanks its not even turning the starter at all. Turn the key and get a thunk Under the dash or firewall. Turn the key and the amp goes left to discharge.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Check for loose wire. Might be the solenoid on the starter. Your here. Discharge on the meter show's a larger amp draw.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Update. So I tapped the starter with a small hammer and hit the ignition and it moved just a little. So when I have time this week gonna pull the starter.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sorry to here the starter is not working right. Hope you get it fixed. Had mine rebuilt while I was doing other thing's to the car during motor install.

V.R.D

Reaction score
get a starter for a 360 magnum fits in great and cranks fast and all auto parts store will have them.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I pulled the starter and it is fine. Electrical some where.

IMG_20210707_195357276.jpg

IMG_20210707_195350210.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Do you have a good engine ground. Man that is a kicker. That starter was tough to put on mine the one bolt is just a bad place to get too. You know that the start solenoid is good. Or should I say relay. Mine had a bad connection at it. Every thing was working fine then it did not want to work so found my starter wire and the fusible link where not making good connection on the post. So cleaned them and every thing went to working as before.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Do you have a good engine ground. Man that is a kicker. That starter was tough to put on mine the one bolt is just a bad place to get too. You know that the start solenoid is good. Or should I say relay. Mine had a bad connection at it. Every thing was working fine then it did not want to work so found my starter wire and the fusible link where not making good connection on the post. So cleaned them and every thing went to working as before.
Update:. So I found the cable going to the starter was in bad shape. The starter relay I replaced and I found the ground was in bad shape. I ordered a new positive cable. I now just have to reinstall the starter and the connections and I should be fine. Yea that stater is too much fun lol.

IMG_20210714_191443032.jpg

IMG_20210714_191454790.jpg

IMG_20210714_194406705.jpg

IMG_20210714_190048369_HDR.jpg

nevada dan

Reaction score
I would replace the starter too while you have it out, it might of caused the other failures

nevada dan

Reaction score
they can test good when theres a burned spot on the armature and they dont have a load on them but will draw amps when on the engine causing it to burn wires and components , you can take the starter apart and put the armature on a growler but i dont think you can find anyone who even knows what one is now

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
And a new lifetime starter means they will replace it until you get a good one LOL. Don't go cheap

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Update. New positive battery cable to to the battery and starter regulator. New starter, new battery. Hot on each. Won't even turn over. Could it be the ignition switch?

Help lol

V.R.D

Reaction score
you need to check voltage from switch to starter relay then voltage at the starter from the battery then check the ground from the neutral safety switch to starter relay.

look on you tube on how to do a voltage drop test that will show what is wrong.

i see a scotch lock on a wire those are no good in wiring as it cuts the strands of wire and make resistance in the circuit.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes barrel crimp connector's. Heat shrink tube over crimp connector. Lowes sell them and the tool. Much better connection. A heat gun is the best way to shrink the tube. Now you have a good connection. Other than that solider wires makes a good connection with heat shrink over that. Know this is driving you nut's and hope you get it traced down.

Back