Won't start.....

Russ Hood

Reaction score
So I purchased a new radiator shroud. Got in a hurry and after receiving from FedEx I realized it's for a 26" and I have a 22" radiator.

So I started re-installing the fan. Bumped over the starter to get the two bottom bolts on top for easier tightening. I then attempt to start the car and just hear a thump under the dash when turning the key and the alt meter goes left . The battery is good and I installed a new voltage regulator. Lights work etc. Still the same problem.

Suggestions to check please.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Can't even imagen what would make a noise like that. I loosen my fan belt and turn the fan by hand. Are you sure your not hitting the shroud or something else making that noise. Put spacers on my fan to clear the new A/C compressor heard a noise when the motor revved up sounded like a fan belt or like that. NO the fan was hitting the front of the compressor. So had to get a bigger spacer. Then after installing it heard a tic tic. Like some one was tapping a nut on a piece of metal. After further inspection now the fan was hitting the shroud. So had to take and 1/8 inch off the 2 inch spacer now all is good. Maybe some one else has an Idea of what is going on. Hope you find it.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Thanks its not even turning the starter at all. Turn the key and get a thunk Under the dash or firewall. Turn the key and the amp goes left to discharge.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Update. So I tapped the starter with a small hammer and hit the ignition and it moved just a little. So when I have time this week gonna pull the starter.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sorry to here the starter is not working right. Hope you get it fixed. Had mine rebuilt while I was doing other thing's to the car during motor install.