• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would this be the Rusty Runner?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
it's weird it's so rusty. I got the fenders and front bumper for Freebird from Utah. the fenders were mint, and the chrome on the bumper looked new.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
it's weird it's so rusty. I got the fenders and front bumper for Freebird from Utah. the fenders were mint, and the chrome on the bumper looked new.
Depends what part of Utah,my wife's friend her son brought a 95 Cherokee back from Utah and it was pretty rusty,however their daughter had a grand am (97 I think) from the southern part and it was in good shape.

mannye

Reaction score
I don't know what the whole southern car thing is all about. After spending 20 years in NYC and 20 years in Miami, I tell ya, I prefer NYC salt over Miami sun and salt air any day of the week! You look at the paint on a Miami car after just three years of exposure and the heat and UV rays have done a number on both the paint and the interior!

At least one can wash salt off a car if you really need to!

John69RR

Reaction score
Pretty much the same here in Houston. Salt air plus the sun takes its toll on cars. You also notice it on bridge girders. Can not believe they do not coat them so they do not rust. After years of exposure the concrete pillars look rusty also from the rust running down them.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
John69RR said:
Pretty much the same here in Houston. Salt air plus the sun takes its toll on cars. You also notice it on bridge girders. Can not believe they do not coat them so they do not rust. After years of exposure the concrete pillars look rusty also from the rust running down them.

They may have used a Corten A-588 steel alloy. It's not meant to be coated. The rust acts as the protective coating and preserves the steel. Just some trivial info for ya.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
John69RR said:

They may have used a Corten A-588 steel alloy. It's not meant to be coated. The rust acts as the protective coating and preserves the steel. Just some trivial info for ya.
marty.....when we built the new.....newburgh becon bridge thats what it was ....corten....did you notice they painted it.....why.....it is supposed to rust to a certain point then stop rusting......well it didnt stop rusting so they blasted it and painted it

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
sixgunrunner68 said:
John69RR said:

marty.....when we built the new.....newburgh becon bridge thats what it was ....corten....did you notice they painted it.....why.....it is supposed to rust to a certain point then stop rusting......well it didnt stop rusting so they blasted it and painted it

Sounds like someone didn't check the material certs. Usually painting it makes matters worse. One of the rail car manufacturers we deal with had this problem. They painted it and the frames rotted away.

Back