• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

XHD vs. Super Stock springs

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Getting ready to order new springs for the RR which do you guys prefer and why?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Keep in mind the front half of the ss springs is shorter and will need a longer front spring hanger.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1BADBIRD said:
Getting ready to order new springs for the RR which do you guys prefer and why?

This is more a question of intended usage than preference; If you'll see more time at the track go with the SS springs or a set of mono-leafs & Caltracks. If you'll spend more time cruisin' the streets (especially if you routinely have back seat passengers) then the XHDs are calling your name...

If your existing springs are in decent condition you could have them reworked - just another option. I went this route on my '74 Duster a couple of years ago. There were questions at the time about the quality of the (chinese) steel being utilized in the new springs so I went the safe route and had our local spring shop re-arch my /6 springs and add the requisite leafs to achieve original stock Duster 340 specifications - which was all I wanted on a car that may never actually make a timed pass... I've been most happy with the results.

Ray

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
I've heard more negative comments about the XHD than positive ones from B body owners. Myself included!

I installed 1"+ XHD's, and my car sits EXACTLY the same level it did with the worn out originals. :nopity:

I installed 1"+ standards in the Scamp and the tail end shot up to the sky. Both sets were from ESPO...

mcmopar

Reaction score
I installed the MP XHD springs on mine and it sits up about 1.5" taller than it used to with the originals. I expected a rather harsh ride out of the new ones but they ride just fine. So far I'm pleased with them.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my car only had four leaves on each side when I got it. We threw two extra leaves on each side, nd it raised the back end nicely for me, and still rides nice, A buddy had the springs and center bolts, so the only cost I had was the new u bolts, which I got at cost from the truck dealership I used to work at...$20.

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
How rough do the SS springs ride? Like a worn out log truck? I would Like to get the sag out of the rear but not quite Joe Dirt style.

mcmopar

Reaction score
They'll definitely be more stiff than the XHD units. Remember, these bad boys are built to control the launch torque of a Super Stocker. You can bet they'll probably rattle your kidneys in daily driving.

Back