• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Z-BAR and linkage question

rkb2

Reaction score
:huh: Ok so it's been about 30 years since my bird has seen the road and I'm trying to get her there again. Had no motor and trans when I got but was already set up for a 4 speed although originally an auto car. I parted another four speed bird years ago and have been saving parts all these years. The Z-bar that was in my parts collection won't fit between the ball studs it's too long. As the four speed parts may have been added wrong can anyone give my the width of the z-bar in case I have the wrong one and the measurement between the ball studs in case I have some work to do. Also a picture of the way the linkage goes on from a stock shifter and 4 speed trans. I have the brackets with the rods underneath on the trans but in looking at some adds feel this may be upside down. Any help awould be great. Thanks Ron :lock:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the z bar looks to be 8 3/4. I'll have more time in a couple days in I can help more.

John69RR

Reaction score
The Z-Bar is about 8 1/4" long. There are 2 studs that the shaft pivots on. The longer one goes itnto the plate on the frame and the shorter one goes into the bellhousing. I am not sure if the rod is in the correct position, if not just reverse it.

mcmopar

Reaction score
That tranny's mighty pretty. A shame it has to go under the car where no one will see it!

rkb2

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics !! My linkage is wrong but easy fix. I seem to have the right z-bar but could someone take a pic of the frame bracket and the spacing between the ball studs. I think whoever converted this way back when may have welded the piece of angle iron they used for a narrower z-bar. There is no way mine will go in with the studs in place and I dont think it will squeeze in even if I screwed them in while in the bar. If I have to cut the frame bracket off and weld a new one on I need to know where it goes. Sorry for the trouble but no one around here has a bird for me to compare to. Thaks Ron :lock:

John69RR

Reaction score
Can't give you the spacing because my engine is still out. Here are some pics of the bracket though.

6R9Runner

Reaction score
rkb2 said:
..."I screwed them in while in the bar"...
I'm really surprised that 69hemibeep let you get away with that comment! :stooges:

My (totally sober) measurement 10-3/8", frame to bellhousing.
Just thought of something else, the frame side ball stud drops in from the top. The 7/8" nut is accessed from the inner fender. Not sure if an auto car would have that provision.

rkb2

Reaction score
I'll have to be more careful what I type :jester: I forget who I'm dealing with. My bell housing to the flat side of the angle iron that was welded on is 9" so if your measuring from the same place that explains the problem. I do have the access hole but It looks like I need to move the bracket to the outer edge of the frame to get that 1" and 3/8 back. Thanks, Ron :lock:

Back