• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“It’s real and it’s spectacular”

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
I agree with quikbird, drive it, have fun, it's your car fix it the way you like and enjoy

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Looks like weld spots. Clean it and prime it so it wont get any worse. Now is the time to address it before it spread's. Yes these cars need a lot of restoring at one point or another. Thought I would never get all the rust out of this car. It was all original metal. But now it is much better with replacing the sheet metal. Dose not look bad just need 's some attention. Have fun and enjoy that runner.

woodwiz

Reaction score
What do you guys think is the best approach for handling some of the remaining rust? Back in the day they had this oil based and rubberized spray that supposedly applied correctly would seal it up and probably not stop it from growing but slow it down. The car is in AZ. so with virtually no humidity i have a fighting chance!
Opinions on that spray and it is a driver unless my daughter wants to redo it right when i'm gone.

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
Are you referring to the pics of the trunk compartment? If it was mine I'd just go to the local automotive paint store and get some rattle cans to match your color or get a quart and a small spray gun, prep it and have at it ! If the seems bother you spray some undercoating over it, if someone was going to be an a@@hole and look up under, I'd probably shut the trunk on them !! Just my .02

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Wire brush the area good. Then get some of that Rust oleum revert in the can. Let it dry 24 hours then like was stated get some spray on bed liner or under coat. They sell these in spray can's. East wood has some good products also in spray can.

woodwiz

Reaction score
The trunk is where I discovered the work had been done. Other areas up front and forward of the front door hinges shows what I believe to be 15yr old surface rust..just random!
The undercarriage still shows some original factory coatings. I shall hit the trunk rust inhibitors and or a undercoating spray and stay away from any drain holes. Like someone said it is a driver car to Cruz ins and parking lot shows. I’m good with that!
Thanks Moparians!!

cosgig

Reaction score
The brush on POR-15 would make quick work of those little rusty welds. It’s quite the moisture lock!

woodwiz

Reaction score
Got the pre-treat rust inhibitor on the trunk floor and upper fender weld spots and then some undercoating (says it’s rubberized),shouldn’t let it bother me that the rear quarters were done,but I guess the originals would be pretty beat up. 15yr old metal is better than 50 any day. How well it’s done matters most. Also heard an argument for oil based rustproofing over rubberized...any thoughts?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I would talk to Big Block on the Pro 15 he had problem's with it peeling off. But have seen it used in a lot of restore job's. Just make sure you really clean the rust area. I would look at the East wood rust revert. I used it then sealed it with their top coating. So far So good.

Back