• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969.no power at all

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Took my car and had the front end aligned. Got to the office afterwards and headed out to lunch. Turned switch - nothing. Headlights or nothing worked. Fuses are good. Starter turns over with screwdriver at starter regulator and starter itself. Alternator was making a racket and I thought that was it. I have checked voltage regulator it's good.

Help.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
You say you don't have lights either but have power at the starter relay? then my first guess is there is a problem with the bulk head connector. I would disconnect them and clean them up best you can then make sure each wire is pushed in as far as it will go. Someone else may have a better idea.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
You say you don't have lights either but have power at the starter relay? then my first guess is there is a problem with the bulk head connector. I would disconnect them and clean them up best you can then make sure each wire is pushed in as far as it will go. Someone else may have a better idea.
Thanks I will look at that this evening

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
What about the Ammeter inside the car. I heard if it goes you have nothing. Correct me if I am wrong please. Still learning.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
You know I was driving it the other day and it usually is on the positive side and I noticed it was in the middle. I will check that some others mentioned it too.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Update........ok the car decided to turnover but no power. I found this and unplugged and plugged back. Car turns over just fine but won't start.

IMG_20210808_191809743.jpg

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Lights work now but it doesn't start
So the starter is turning over the engine but it doesn't catch? I doubt this is the problem now but I'd check the ballast resistor to make sure that didn't go bad somehow while you were checking the wires. Also check the wiring diagram for the wires from the ignition switch through the bulk head connector to make sure they are making good contact at the connector. And yes, it will show a discharge while starting.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
So the starter is turning over the engine but it doesn't catch? I doubt this is the problem now but I'd check the ballast resistor to make sure that didn't go bad somehow while you were checking the wires. Also check the wiring diagram for the wires from the ignition switch through the bulk head connector to make sure they are making good contact at the connector. And yes, it will show a discharge while starting.
I checked the ballast resistor as it is new. Changed back to old and that's not the issue. Neither is black on the back.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Something is kicking back after trying to start and turning off ignition. I will get the wife to turn over over tomorrow to check.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
While working by my self have a starter button to hook to my start run relay. Turn the key on then under the hood I can start the car. This help's when checking thing's. Just went through two coil's elderbrock one's now have an MSD. Hope you get it figured out soon so you can get back on the road.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
If you have a good plug wire and plug connect it to the distributor ground the side of the plug to the engine crank it and see if you have spark. Don't count out that orange box. I just went round and round with an intermittent box. Earlier that silver round can you disconnected and reconnected looks like your blinker or emergency flasher relay. I can't see it having anything to do with the starting.

Larry Chilese

Reaction score
I believe a wire from the Solenoid has to run back to the ignition switch "on" position for it to run. If it won't start or turn over the Solenoid might be the culprit, or wiring connection to it. They are cheap enough.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Make sure your ecu box has a good ground if you are running one.
The amp gauge can be bypassed easily by moving a lug to their other one post.
give the bulkhead a good wire brushing and dielectric grease.

Back