• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 RR windshield and rear glass

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
They sell Kit's on E bay. Heavy-medium-and fine compounds. If you search the net you can find the video's of this being done. This how I found out about this. Russ.

RonLiv

Reaction score
They sell Kit's on E bay. Heavy-medium-and fine compounds. If you search the net you can find the video's of this being done. This how I found out about this. Russ.
I'll research it, thanks

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I know nothing about those windshields Ron LOL But the polishing kits are for very light scratches. The rule of thumb is if you can feel it with a fingernail it won't come out and it's not for pitting either. I do have a neighbor that does it commercially for store fronts and houses and he can make glass wavy looking with his big equipment but thats a water cooled machine that attaches to the glass

RonLiv

Reaction score
I know nothing about those windshields Ron LOL But the polishing kits are for very light scratches. The rule of thumb is if you can feel it with a fingernail it won't come out and it's not for pitting either. I do have a neighbor that does it commercially for store fronts and houses and he can make glass wavy looking with his big equipment but thats a water cooled machine that attaches to the glass
Yah, that's what a glass guy told me, that you can't do anything about the problem that I have, its pretty common. I would consider this "pitting" like you say. Windshields aren't all that expensive for a Jeep.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just to say my rear window has lite scratches. So I am going to try the method. You have to keep the glass wet when doing the process. The material they use is an oxide powder. What about safe lite glass company they fix chips they say. If it is really bad I would get a new glass. Russ.

dmartin

Reaction score
If there is any discoloration in the glass it’s probably the stuff in between the glass gone bad, my back window was so bad it looked like someone put a huge cup on the glass and it stained it brown so I threw in in the trash

RonLiv

Reaction score
Just to say my rear window has lite scratches. So I am going to try the method. You have to keep the glass wet when doing the process. The material they use is an oxide powder. What about safe lite glass company they fix chips they say. If it is really bad I would get a new glass. Russ.
You can't even see the chips until the sun hits it. It's not like your typical stone chip. These are really tiny but the entire windshield is covered with them.

Rich B

Reaction score
Russ, know exactly what your talking about, have the kit myself. Takes a little patience but have had good results the few times I’ve used. Too abrasive for plastics, polishing compound works good there. Have to use with drill motor and sequence of pads and buffers; what I have anyways.

But too, chips seem strange on rear window; not like a sandblasted windshield. Can it be the safety plastic between the 2 sheets of glass gives that appearance of that from too much sun?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Russ, know exactly what your talking about, have the kit myself. Takes a little patience but have had good results the few times I’ve used. Too abrasive for plastics, polishing compound works good there. Have to use with drill motor and sequence of pads and buffers; what I have anyways.

But too, chips seem strange on rear window; not like a sandblasted windshield. Can it be the safety plastic between the 2 sheets of glass gives that appearance of that from too much sun?
When the safety glass starts to get that separation where the plastic sheet is it is time for a new one. That is what was wrong with my front windshield. I had yellowed and started to get those cracks in the sheet between the glass. Don't quote me on this but the back glass dose not have that sheet of plastic between two pieces of glass.

Back