• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 "Big Block" ????

RR383

Reaction score
OK, please excuse me but in the Chevy world a 383 cid engine is a small block period. So what qualifies the Chrysler 383 cid engine to be discussed in the Rat motor world of big block notoriety?

quikbird

Reaction score
Chevy 383 is a stroked 350. Chrysler 383 is a completely separate design from the small block 340 and 360. I'm sure others will have more details for you shortly.

Ranger

Reaction score
Doesn't Chevy consider the 396 a big block? That's only a 13 c. i. difference.

That said, I don't know who or what decides the difference.

RR383

Reaction score
Doesn't Chevy consider the 396 a big block? That's only a 13 c. i. difference.

That said, I don't know who or what decides the difference.

Yes they do...could it be bore x stroke plus intake/exhaust valve sizing...etc.?

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
I would say that they considered it as a small or a big block about the capacities of the maximum bore size you can work with your block and the length of the block. Above a certain bore size it is a big block else it is a small block.
So chevy 383 is a small block because that motor allows a smallest bore size than the mopar 383.
I'm not really sure about that but I guess this is one of the reason that make the difference.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is simply a question of engine families. NOTHING more. As defined by the respective companies (in this case Chevy and Chrysler) they both produced small block and big block engine families. Which engine falls into which category has nothing whatsoever to do with bore size, crank throw, and certainly not valve size. It is all about the physical size and configuration (family) of the engines.

Chrysler 383's are "B" engines. The "B" engines were the 350, 361, 383, and 400's. There was a version of the 383 that was a "RB" (Raised B) in '59 & '60 but you'll likely never see one of these.
The "RB" engines were the 413, 426, and 440's. They are taller to accommodate the longer 3.75" stroke common to all RB's.

Just for reference, Chrysler's small block engine families are called "A" and LA". The "A" engines came in a plethora of CID versions and you can look them up if you're interested. These are the Polyspherical head engines that were phased out in '67. The "LA" engines are the 273, 318, 340, and 360 engines that we are all familiar with.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Boring and stroking a 360 to a 408 makes it a big cubic inch small block. And a 396 is a big block and they bored it to a 402 a few years later. Just try and pick one up LOL

Coyote

Reaction score
I'll hijack it! ACME 112 had the great MOPAR info. Chevy also had the 348/409 "W" motors, their first big block. It had the same bore centers as the later "big block". All Pontiacs had the same size V-8 Block whether it was a 326 or 455. The problem child is Ford: Flatmotors, "Y" blocks, FE blocks, LEM blocks, 385 series, Windsors, Clevelands, SOHC, DOHC, Flatplane cranks. Us MOPAR folks got it EASY!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Not even close to a hijack.

Coyote

Reaction score
Well, I tried. How about aftermarket blocks with up to 454ci on "a small block Chebby". Indy stuff: 572ci Hemi or Wedge. It's a plethora of #'s to confuse!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
" So what qualifies the Chrysler 383 cid engine to be discussed in the Rat motor world of big block notoriety?"
actually it's the other way around. the Mopar 383 Big block was around for decades before someone stroked out a small block chevy.

Back