• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 vs. 440?

cheflar

Reaction score
I am sure many of you have answered this question 1000 times, sorry here is another. I bought a 69 roadrunner with a 440 (1973 Interceptor motor), but also came with a "supposed" numbers matching 383 (which it is from 1969, but not numbers matching). I am new to the restoration (and really car world...but i have help-from a FORD guy-I know...sorry!) I know the 1969 has "906 heads", I have not checked the 440 to see what is on it, but I was told it was "rebuilt to the original 1973 Interceptor specs" about 15 years ago and has never really been run. According to almost every site I can find that would tell me that the 69-383 has more horsepower, torque, etc. than the 1973-440. SO, my question is I am trying to restore "as original" as possible, but either way here I am going to have to have a motor done? What is the major difference in the normal 1973-440 and the Interceptor 440? I have been told that standard 440 parts just won't work correctly? If I decide to take it to a machine shop and have the 440 stripped down and rebuild will anything change with the rebuild (easier vs. harder or more expensive?). Assuming that the 440 heads are NOT the 906 or a 915 (I know they were both used earlier), could I use the 906 heads on the 69-383 and would that help me a bunch? if the heads need work is it easier just to buy a set of newer edelbrock (or some other variation?). I am not really looking for a ton of power, I want it to be a nice driver with some nuts when I need it. I never plan on dragging it or anything else. I am looking either way at having one of them redone...the 383 looks REALLY rough and shows some bronzing inside and after using some plastic gauge to check a few bearings etc. it appears that there will need to be some work done on the bottom end. So, 440 needs a little more power for me (in my mind) and the 383 would need it either way...are the parts either way about the same price? if so, any other reason not to rebuild the 440 instead of the 383 (either way it is not original) (it has a A833 4 speed/8 3/4" in the rear if that changes anything)

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The 73 440 compression ratio was reduced to 8.2:1 netting 275HP 380 lbs of torque
The 69 383 had 330 HP or 335HP in a non A/C roadrunner using a 440 cam both had 425 lbs of torque 10.0:1 compression
The 440 has more potential due to cubic inches but changes need to be made

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
a big question is how far you want to go down the restoration road. do you want a complete factory stock car? or just a car to drive to the cruise night? there is no right or wrong pick on this. it is whatever you want to do to YOUR car. What size engine does the fender tag say should be in the car? as for heads the new aluminum ones are much better than the old iron heads. some even look like the old heads from the outside so you can put them on , paint and few will be the wiser, but you will have a more powerful engine. just watch out for those five words that will just kill you. "Well while we're at it" :smile-new:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I had a '73 440 in my last two cars that was rebuilt to '69 specs. all the power i ever needed. My present car has a 383. same deal, all the power I need. If you want the 440, do it. most cruise night goofs won't be able to tell the difference anyway if you leave it badged for a 383.

cheflar

Reaction score
are most of the changes that need to be made on the upper end (heads) or the lower end? can i get a decent amount of the lost horsepower back by simply changing out the intake manifold with an aluminum one and say edlebrock rpm heads?

cheflar

Reaction score
my car was originally a 383 (all numbers matching and date code correct other than the motor)...i was originally planning on doing an "original factory ca" because I was originally told ALL NUMBERS were matching, which i know is not true! i do not plan on drag racing, etc...simply enjoying the car, yet if i wanted to have some fun and see what it "has", it has a respectable amount of power...i know the 73-440 is a "cast" motor as opposed to the '69-383 is forged...is there a "major difference"? i have a good friend who has restored a ton or cars, but they were all a 4 letter word that started with F and ended in D F#$D! so he is a little unfamiliar with the heads and what the major differences are to see if we can get it back to a pretty respectable earlier version of a 440

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The heads didn't change much at all and you want aluminum by the sounds of it. You need pistons and machine work on both most likely, not cheap so go with a low deck 383 for correctness or the raised block 440 for more beef. Only mopar guys can tell the difference.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
If you are looking to have a more correct or restored car, then the 383 is correct for the car. Since the 440 4bbl engine was never offered in the 69 RR, you have that factor too.

The 440 has more potential for power of course and a low compression 73 engine has the big plus of not being so fussy about what gas you pump. If it were me, I'd leave it alone if it's running okay and have some fun with it until you figure out what you want to do.

BTW, the interceptor term is a Ford name for their cop cars. Chrysler never had a special cop car motor.

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
a low compression 73 engine has the big plus of not being so fussy about what gas you pump. If it were me, I'd leave it alone if it's running okay and have some fun with it until you figure out what you want to do.

listen to the Big Guy

cheflar

Reaction score
hey big john, thanks for the info...I was told by the guy I bought it from it was an Interceptor and my research turned up the same info as you stated, Ford called theirs the interceptor, not MOPAR. The question is did the Jensen 440 have a special indicator on it? I was reading that the 1973 Jensen Interceptor used a Chrysler 440. I was told that if I look near the intake manifold I would see a stamping that is unique to the "interceptor" motor...but I can find nothing about that online anywhere?

quikbird

Reaction score
As much as I really really hate to agree with him, Dave has one thing absolutely right.

I've never gone wrong listening to the big guy. :cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah but you're a suck up......:beaten::jester:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
hey big john, thanks for the info...I was told by the guy I bought it from it was an Interceptor and my research turned up the same info as you stated, Ford called theirs the interceptor, not MOPAR. The question is did the Jensen 440 have a special indicator on it? I was reading that the 1973 Jensen Interceptor used a Chrysler 440. I was told that if I look near the intake manifold I would see a stamping that is unique to the "interceptor" motor...but I can find nothing about that online anywhere?

I doubt your engine is from a Jenson. That's a pretty rare car and I don't know if there were many imported to the US in 69.

Your engine could have very easily come out of a cop car though..... henceforth the "interceptor" name. Same as "posit" and "tri-power" used incorrectly.

Really doesn't matter though... Just one of those things....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If that 440 is a good motor run it. I'm in the middle of changing a low compression 440 to a higher compression and I'm into the rotating assembly machine work rings and bearings $1500 so I'm about half way home when you figure gasket set, heads, cam and timing set are still to be purchased.

cheflar

Reaction score
hey 69hemibeep, i was told to redo the 383 would probably set me back between $4k and $4500 (a rough estimate without the machine shop seeing any parts of it)...the 440 is running good now, but i am 99% sure after talking to the previous owner that it has had no major changes on it, although it was rebuilt 20 years ago, but never really run. Not being a huge engine guy, would most people just redo the 440? will it cost pretty well the same to get the compression and power back that the 383 (69) already has? it pretty well sounds it after seeing what you are saying...

cj69RR

Reaction score
Sounds like it just might need a good tune up? But the 440 will give you the most bang for the $$$ in the end.

cheflar

Reaction score
hey cj...i was going to just do a tune up, but i got to thinking it would be nice to take it to 69 specs (440) instead of the 1973 specs, which i believe it to be (280 hP or something like that)...so it sounds like the 440 it shall be! it seems to be the general consensus!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
it really depends on your budget. If the 440 is ready to go, and you need the $$ for other stuff to get the car on the road, then the 440 is the way to go. If this is a multiple year project, than it's no big deal then.

Back