• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed conversion

moparchris

Reaction score
Hey guys a couple people have asked about 4 speed conversions. I have done these swaps to A, B, and E bodies before. I just recently saw a quote from Brewers for the parts to convert an auto car to stick. I think it was in the $3500 range and I thought I would put out a list of parts you will need and what you could find them for. I have done swaps on my back in the drive way and also on my lift at the shop. On my back I could do one in two weekends with no power tools other than my mig welder. At the shop I can do it in a long day with every power option available. I comb the swap meets here and find good deals which make it even cheaper to do the swap, so some saavy shopping will make your day. I just recently bought a trans with bell housing shifter rods and handle for $150 at a swap meet.

Flywheel used $100 swap meet or craigslist
Flywheel bolts $24.35 ebay
clutch kit (pilot bearing, disc, pressure plate, and throw out bearing) $399.95 Summit Racing
Bell housing $125 ebay
clutch fork $75.00 Moparts
clutch fork boot $29.95 ebay
transmission $400 Moparts
Crossmember $85 moparts
Shifter (mechanism $299, handle $219, and shift rods $85.00 Moparts)
Shifter boot $59.95 Brewers
Shifter boot bezel $40.75 with screws Brewers
Floor Hump $144 Classic Industries
Pedal assembly $150 ebay
Pedal to Z bar rod $59.95 Brewers
Boot for the rod above $6.95 Brewers
Firewall reinforcement studs
Z bar frame bracket $39.95 Brewers
Z bar pivot $12.95
Z bar $100 Moparts
Z bar to clutch fork rod $20 ebay
Reverse light $92.50 ebay
Reverse light harness $42.50 ebay

Total 2611.75

There is a guy on Moparts selling a lot of parts for a pretty reasonable price. Also Carlisle is coming up and walking the swap meet there will probably net you some good deals. Do your home work first and know what your looking at and what the casting numbers are.

Jim S.

Reaction score
That is good info. Thanks, Chris. I got a quote for $4800 not including shipping. Granted that included carpeting, shifter ball and all the little things, etc. But still I would be looking at over $5K and a lot of work for a old guy like me with a bad back. Might take me over a year, the gas would probably go bad. :lol:

dobie

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a pretty good, complete list. Most of the items I had to buy came from Brewer's or swap meets. I think I had right around $2500 in my conversion. That's only cause I was given several of the items i needed from my uncle.

On a side note, I'll offer this...... If you guys are swap meeting these parts, buy them when you find them. I looked for a 1.5 yrs at Carlisle, the Nat's, and a few other places for my BB bell housing. When I needed it, there were none to be found. I eventually had to buy one from Brewer's, at the inflated price of course, because I couldn't wait any longer. Seems like now that's all I see is BB bell housings. So anyways, buy the stuff when you can find it, even if you're a few years out from the swap.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
shoulda called Steve, I've got an extra. never mind we hadn't met yet..... :jester:

moparchris

Reaction score
I buy the parts and hoard them myself. I am thinking of doing a conversion on my Satellite convert since I have every thing in stock. I wish we were all local to each other, that way Jim could cruise over and use the lift. A total back saver.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Wow,I remember back in 85,I was going to do one on my 72 Charger SE ( 400/727) a local salvage yard was going to sell me all the parts minus the shifter handle which I already had for 300 bucks ! If I remember right the donor car was a 73 Charger. Guess i'll start keeping an eye out for 4 speed parts.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Actually I need to rebuild my tranny or have it done, it hops out of second,Big John's friend Dave who was a great manual tranny guy,was going to do it for me a few years back,but unfortunely he passed away.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
jays69bird said:
Actually I need to rebuild my tranny or have it done, it hops out of second,Big John's friend Dave who was a great manual tranny guy,was going to do it for me a few years back,but unfortunely he passed away.

Dave Johnson was THE best.... and a great friend.

V269

Reaction score
My car was an automatic originally and I converted it to 4 speed about 28 years ago. I just went to the local wrecking yard and pulled all the parts off a doner car for a couple hundred bucks. Trani a 1969 and bellhousing out of a 69 GTX. Cheapest convert ever. Of course that was when the car yards were full of this stuff and easy to get for cheap. :jester:

moparchris

Reaction score
jays69bird said:
Do it yourself. Its easy.

sam z

Reaction score
Wow...great info and thread. Thanks Chris. This one shouldn't bet buried. The kit on ebay is a steal from the looks of it. Dropping 2k right now after what I just spent on the repaint ain't gonna happen (read: family and wife). I'm saying 2-3 years. Great thread though, thanks.

Back