• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Speed for a 68 hemi roadrunner

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm going to hold it until our Passion 5 speed arrives which should be anytime, then sell as a unit most likely.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
If the speed o gear is eating up then it is set wrong. Not staying in gear mean's worn out sink's. Passion sell's new and used main shaft's or Brewer's performance. They also sell rebuilt ones. Good luck Sixtynine-bird.

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
I open that part of the trans where the speedo gear is set, and saw that in fact the main shaft is injured and the helical teeth of the shaft are broken. So when the speedo gear comes in contact with those teeth I guess this is what is eating the speedo gear.
Hope this is clear not easy for me to explain that lol!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well was hoping it was just the adjustment problem. Can't win them all. If the gear is that bad then a rebuild is in the work's. Thinking that rebuilding the thing would probably be cheaper than buying the hole unit. Wish you luck no matter which way you decide to go. It is always one more thing to fix before moving on with the restore job. :cursin:

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Totally right Russ! Every time you think you're done, something to restore just coming up right away!

Yeah I think I'll buy the rebuilt kit which if I remember well includes the syncro and the main bearings. Hope the pinion gear are in good shape! I guess I'm afraid to open the unit that is why it is still taking the dust in my garage ^^

What about the rebuilt of the 833, is it easy? Do we need specific tools or measurement tools?
Still asking myself if I'm going to do it myself or pay someone for that... What is your position on that?
Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I like the book 69 hemi suggested. Get a big snap ring puller to get the main shaft out. Got this book off E bay called how to rebuild and modify high performance manual transmissions. It covers the A833 and show's the problems to look for. Book number is SA103 by car tech. Their are some U Tube video's on this also. Go ahead and open it up the book show's the trick's to do this also. Not many tools to buy. Some say you have to buy the stack shaft pin to assemble gear's. A piece of cold roll steel the same size as the shaft. I have used a wooden dowel before and it worked fine. Take lots of pictures while doing it. Just saying. Have fun. :thumbsup2:

quikbird

Reaction score
there is a fairly recent episode of Detroit muscle (powernation) that showed a rebuild of a 833 tranny.

Coyote

Reaction score
I’ve never had to do an 833. I’ve done numerous other manual gearboxes.

It ain’t rocket science. Take pictures (yay digital) and use common sense. I’ve always used wood dowels with good luck. :beep:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I’ve never had to do an 833. I’ve done numerous other manual gearboxes.

It ain’t rocket science. Take pictures (yay digital) and use common sense. I’ve always used wood dowels with good luck. :beep:
Their a lot cheaper than steel and easer to cut to length that you need. :thumbsup:

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Thank you all guys for your comments. I might do that then ;)

I am a bit stressed out with that lol cutting the car for surgery wasn't afraid but when it comes to mechanical stuff that is another story ^^ who will believe that lol

Back