• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 SOURCE

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Anyone use any of there stuff? I was thinking about ordering a crank from them. Let me know what you guys think. :popcorn:

69roadrunnerragtop

Reaction score
A friend bought their stroker kit the 440 500 kit for his 64 fury he loves ithad no problems with the install. the car is quite an animal for a big sloppy street ride it stands up and goes.

martin69rr

Reaction score
A couple of people have used their kit over here and they have been full of praise. I think as with all bits you buy off the shelf you should check it over before using it. I intend to get their ally heads when i rebuild the 440 :thumbsup:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I've heard some good things about their stroker kits and I know they've sold a ton of them.

I have read about problems with the valve spring retainers on their heads and their rocker arms sound like they are pretty much junk. The spring retainer problem can be addressed by upgrading the locks and retainers. I think a lot of guys were ditching the cheap stamped stuff for Comp Cams 10* locks and retainers.

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am thinking about buying a set of there allm heads anyone know what the max flow is on these beasts? :cheers:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
1BADBIRD said:
Thanks guys. I am thinking about buying a set of there allm heads anyone know what the max flow is on these beasts? :cheers:

this is from there site.

Large, free-flowing intake and exhaust ports look nicer "out of the box" than most port jobs you'll find done to factory heads. Instead of casting the ports small (like the factory did) and having to port them yourself, we've designed the ports to flow out of the box, better than a "full race" ported factory head would. Port volumes are about 212CC's on the intake and 72CC's on the exhaust. Intakes flow about 280-290 CFM as cast, with the potential to reach at least 330 CFM or more with porting. Compare that to 215-220 CFM from even the best factory production heads such as 906's or even 915's! Larger 2.14" and 1.81" valve sizes also come standard. Combustion chamber is a "closed chamber" design, with quench area built in, so the benefits of running "tight quench" can be realized. Chamber size "as cast" is about 84cc's.

i have a set but i am waiting for the right project to use them. so they are still in the box.

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Thanks. that is some pretty good flow for the price :cheers:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
I've heard some good things about their stroker kits and I know they've sold a ton of them.

I have read about problems with the valve spring retainers on their heads and their rocker arms sound like they are pretty much junk. The spring retainer problem can be addressed by upgrading the locks and retainers. I think a lot of guys were ditching the cheap stamped stuff for Comp Cams 10* locks and retainers.

Hey Big, any info on the rocker arms specifically? Man, they have a good price on those compared to everything else that is out there - excluding the proform stuff, which I've heard nothing but bad things about... Looking for some 1.6s that won't break the bank...but that won't end up in pieces my oil pan...

Ray

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Hey Big, any info on the rocker arms specifically? Man, they have a good price on those compared to everything else that is out there - excluding the proform stuff, which I've heard nothing but bad things about... Looking for some 1.6s that won't break the bank...but that won't end up in pieces my oil pan...

Ray

Yep, I read a few things about the roller tip breaking. While that itself doesn't sound bad, the big issue is the the end of the rocker left comes down and straddles the valve stem and pushes down the retainer. The valve keeper pops out and then the valve drops into the cylinder.

I think its a little too much risk. If it was just breaking the rocker, then that's not a huge deal... but a dropped valve... that's catastrophic.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5f9d38f04eafc581a38780df99f90b7e&topic=41430.0

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
[quote="ACME A12":1fvztlk2]

Ray

Yep, I read a few things about the roller tip breaking. While that itself doesn't sound bad, the big issue is the the end of the rocker left comes down and straddles the valve stem and pushes down the retainer. The valve keeper pops out and then the valve drops into the cylinder.

I think its a little too much risk. If it was just breaking the rocker, then that's not a huge deal... but a dropped valve... that's catastrophic.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5f9d38f04eafc581a38780df99f90b7e&topic=41430.0[/quote:1fvztlk2]

You're right; that's a deal breaker. I'll keep looking. Thanks!

Ray

Big John

Reaction score
I think I'm going with the ductile iron rockers. They're hard to break.

BTW, Crane has them in 1.6

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Man that's a long thread on the charger website...

Looks like 440 Source stood behind their product though...even replaced the guy's damaged head... Don't know that I want to experiment with their rockers nevertheless...

Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
I think I'm going with the ductile iron rockers. They're hard to break.

Any concerns about availability and or warranty issues since they closed their doors last month? I heard from a friend that Comp was buying Crane's assets but I haven't seen anything in print that confirms this...

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":16shuk0u]I think I'm going with the ductile iron rockers. They're hard to break.

Any concerns about availability and or warranty issues since they closed their doors last month? I heard from a friend that Comp was buying Crane's assets but I haven't seen anything in print that confirms this...[/quote:16shuk0u]

I haven't seen any more info on what is going on with Crane. All the auto suppliers are hurting right now, so any product you buy today might not have a warranty tomorrow.

That said, the ductile iron rockers are pretty bullet proof. I wouldn't expect any issue with them. I've never been crazy about using roller rockers on a street car, but that's just me.

Somewhere, I saw a comparison of rocker brands and types. I gotta try to find it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I like Harland Sharp rockers, not cheap! Ive used them on the street and sand, all the new cars have gone roller!

Big John

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I like Harland Sharp rockers, not cheap! Ive used them on the street and sand, all the new cars have gone roller!

I should have written Aluminum roller rockers.

The Harland Sharp stuff is nice... but as you say not cheap.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about their harmonic balancers? Thinking about ordering a flywheel and a balancer from them; you just cannot beat the prices...

Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, we will see...

Ordered the balancer...passed on the flywheel...

Stay tuned...

:jester:
ACME

Back