• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 SOURCE

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I don't think you can go too far wrong with their balancer... Flywheel??? I dunnno.... I've seen cars that have had flywheel explosions. A Chinese flywheel might not be the best choice.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Well, we will see...

Ordered the balancer...passed on the flywheel...

Stay tuned...

:jester:
ACME
I wonder if its made of lead like everything else :rolleyes:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
Well, we will see...

Stay tuned...

ACME

Probably. I'll make sure not to lick it... :lmao:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
[quote="ACME A12":3cgbdo5t]Well, we will see...

Stay tuned...

ACME

Probably. I'll make sure not to lick it... :lmao:[/quote:3cgbdo5t]

Then how are you gonna get it to stick to the engine?

:leave:

dstryr

Reaction score
My ongoing stroker project has the 440Source 512 kit in it. My builder says the crank was spot-on but one rod was a shade long. After he assembled motor but before decking the block the pistons were measured to be .016 to .017 in the hole on the driver's side and three were .014 to .018 down on the pass. side with the tall one being .010 in the hole. He squared and cut the block .010 on both sides so one piston will be at zero and the others .004 to .008 down. I also picked the Source's balancer. I ordered pushrods last week so my guy should have the motor assembled soon.

The heads flowed about 254cfm intake side, OOTB, not nearly what they are advertised at. Very similar numbers to what Dwayne Porter found when he flowed a set. I had a head builder give them a valve job, back-cut the valves and do some minor port work, and add comp cams 10* retainers and locks. They flow around 283cfm intake side now. Like many others, I wasn't comfortable with their roller rockers so I went with HS roller rockers.

I've been running a McLeod 12" clutch and ordered a new disc that should better handle the tq and hp of the motor and bought a new Hays flywheel to take the place of the original factory flywheel. Cam is an XS290S with approx. 10:1 compression. Looking forward to the break-in and dyno testing.
Should be fun. :jester:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
dstryr said:
My ongoing stroker project has the 440Source 512 kit in it. My builder says the crank was spot-on but one rod was a shade long. After he assembled motor but before decking the block the pistons were measured to be .016 to .017 in the hole on the driver's side and three were .014 to .018 down on the pass. side with the tall one being .010 in the hole. He squared and cut the block .010 on both sides so one piston will be at zero and the others .004 to .008 down. I also picked the Source's balancer. I ordered pushrods last week so my guy should have the motor assembled soon.

The heads flowed about 254cfm intake side, OOTB, not nearly what they are advertised at. Very similar numbers to what Dwayne Porter found when he flowed a set. I had a head builder give them a valve job, back-cut the valves and do some minor port work, and add comp cams 10* retainers and locks. They flow around 283cfm intake side now. Like many others, I wasn't comfortable with their roller rockers so I went with HS roller rockers.

I've been running a McLeod 12" clutch and ordered a new disc that should better handle the tq and hp of the motor and bought a new Hays flywheel to take the place of the original factory flywheel. Cam is an XS290S with approx. 10:1 compression. Looking forward to the break-in and dyno testing.
Should be fun. :jester:

That sounds sweet :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Dropped the balancer off at the machine shop on Friday. My guy saw no problems - said it looked like a pretty nice piece. My only concern now is that it is chromed - so It's gonna take a couple of extra steps to get the orange paint to properly adhere to it...

Anyone seen one of 440 Source's sheet metal oil pans? They're advertised for $150. Seems awfully cheap... Wonder if they're really thin or something...??? I think what I'm gonna do is buy a repop "402" pan and put it on the shelf. I'll run a 6 or 7 qt pan and if I ever have to put it back to completely original I'll have what I need right at hand... I have already told my machinist to open up the block to accept the .5" Hemi pick-up... Can't have too many oiling upgrades...

Ray

dstryr

Reaction score
Ray, You're looking at the aluminum pan for $150, right?

I have the unpainted steel pan to go on my stroker motor and I think it will work well. It's not overly pretty with the weld scar around the middle but once painted and in the engine bay I don't think I'll care how it looks as long as it functions correctly. It didn't seem to be a lighter gauge than the 402 pan either, but I didn't really look that close.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
I ended up getting the Milodon Hemi pan & pick-up.

$150 for a sheet metal pan just sounded too good to be true...just like their roller rockers for $220... you know the old adage...if something appears to be too good to be true...it usually is...

Ray

dstryr

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
...just like their roller rockers for $220... you know the old adage...if something appears to be too good to be true...it usually is...

Ray

Yep. That's why I picked the HS roller rockers. Probably overkill but after spending the coin to build this thing I wanted a set that would last forever and be good for higher spring pressures down the road if I do any upgrades.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
dstryr said:
ACME A12 said:
...just like their roller rockers for $220... you know the old adage...if something appears to be too good to be true...it usually is...

Ray

Yep. That's why I picked the HS roller rockers. Probably overkill but after spending the coin to build this thing I wanted a set that would last forever and be good for higher spring pressures down the road if I do any upgrades.

When do you expect to have that 512 ready for initial fire-up? That ought to bring the gearhead neighbors running over to see what's going on... :D

Back