• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 Econo Racers Compared

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hey Big John could you move this to the Reference Section? I tried to post it in there but was unable to do so. Until it is moved I'll leave it here.
This is a comparison of 6 Econo-Racers Car & Driver did in Jan. 1969. I love reading this one!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
That is a sweet one but still not the one I'm thinking of. Thanks for posting this one, i had forgot about this test.

Maybe I can find the one I'm thinking of. It was a 383 car that they tested with headers, slicks and a few small tricks like taking out the air cleaner and mounting the base by itself.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Hey Big John could you move this to the Reference Section? I tried to post it in there but was unable to do so. Until it is moved I'll leave it here.
This is a comparison of 6 Econo-Racers Car & Driver did in Jan. 1969. I love reading this one!

Will do. Give me a couple days. I'm behind in a few things but I'll get to it.

A12

Reaction score
Great article! :thumbsup: :cheers: You can see why they sold 80k+ 383 road runners from that test comparison. You could buy a pretty nicely equipped 383 rr coupe with some good performance for even the base price and then add a couple hundred in options and still be in the low to mid $3,000 range. My 383 RM23 hardtop IIRC had a base of $3,038 and I added 3.91 Suregrip, air grabber, bucket seats, console, power steering, light package :rolleyes: , hood stripes, and that was in the mid-$3k and a blast to whoop up on those 325 hp 396's maliboats :D :lol: Thanks for posting those memories :cheers: :cheers:

MikeR

glhcarl

Reaction score
Great artical, thanks for posting it. I can remember reading in in 1969. I remembered the part about the Pontaic Judge. Who would think GM would try to throw in a ringer?

mcmopar

Reaction score
Just the typical stuff that's already been posted in the Reference section. I have a bunch of old mags, though, so I'll take a look through them when I get the time.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
glhcarl said:
Great artical, thanks for posting it. I can remember reading in in 1969. I remembered the part about the Pontaic Judge. Who would think GM would try to throw in a ringer?
I don't remember reading that one in 69...........oh, that's right, I was only 3............ :lmao:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
glhcarl said:
I don't remember reading that one in 69...........oh, that's right, I was only 3............ :lmao:

Trying to get Stuart to quit referring to you as one of the old guys...???

:jester:

A12

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
glhcarl said:

Wow, that's cool and amazing that you were only 3 and able to read at an 8th grade level.......... :lol: I was 4 in '69 but had a driver's license :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wink: :lol:..............I feel old now :(

MikeR

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="ACME A12":25lw26oh]Trying to get Stuart to quit referring to you as one of the old guys...???

I fit in better with the old guys. I'm proud to be one of the old guys......... :thumbsup:[/quote:25lw26oh]

Yeah, me too. I'm only a few years older than him but wear that moniker proudly... :D

moparstuart

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
glhcarl said:
I was 1 years old I'm a 68 model

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Alright then, I'll make you guys feel a little younger. I got my drivers liscense in Dec. of '69. There was no way my father would ever let get a car like a Road Runner though. When they went out to get me a car for college in '71, I had found a used '65 Barracuda that someone had swapped a 340 into. That was a no go too. :brickwall: I was always defending my love of Mopars with my class mates. I would hit them with the old GarageMens Company, and Found On Road Dead jokes, and dare them to hit me with something for mopar, which they never could. So I would hit them with, Move Over, Plymouth Rapidly Approaching! They never learned!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Alright then, I'll make you guys feel a little younger. I got my drivers liscense in Dec. of '69. There was no way my father would ever let get a car like a Road Runner though. When they went out to get me a car for college in '71, I had found a used '65 Barracuda that someone had swapped a 340 into. That was a no go too. :brickwall: I was always defending my love of Mopars with my class mates. I would hit them with the old GarageMens Company, and Found On Road Dead jokes, and dare them to hit me with something for mopar, which they never could. So I would hit them with, Move Over, Plymouth Rapidly Approaching! They never learned!

My Old Pig Ain't Runnin'
:leave:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:

uh....my Green Brother.....that spells MOPRA

Back