• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 pack hood

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i am toying with purchasing a brand new heavy weight 6 pack fiberglass hood all reinforced ..i have this cheap piece of crap thats getting all stressed cracked..where would be the best place to buy a quality hood

dutchrunner

Reaction score
He' George ( of the jungle).

I have got one from AAR . No negative points after 2 seasons.
Fits extremelly nice and looks good underneath.

Have added hoodpins because if lifted the corners above 110mph.

Greetings Bigfoot

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Year One, George. Well made, and close to the original A12. As I now have one of each I can tell you that the YO version seems just slightly heavier than the factory original. Probably just what you want.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Chuck the tunnel ram and put a Satellite hood on it :pot:
i have thought of that too since i have those 2 original steel roadrunner hoods stored....but i dont want to go slower

george68hemirr

Reaction score
dutchrunner said:
He' George ( of the jungle).

I have got one from AAR . No negative points after 2 seasons.
Fits extremelly nice and looks good underneath.

Have added hoodpins because if lifted the corners above 110mph.

Greetings Bigfoot
i was just looking at them.....looks like great quality....do you have them hinged also with light weight springs??

george68hemirr

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Year One, George. Well made, and close to the original A12. As I now have one of each I can tell you that the YO version seems just slightly heavier than the factory original. Probably just what you want.
yeah ray was checking them out too....hows the fit??.....can you lift them off by yourself??

mac

What ?
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
ACME A12 said:
yeah ray was checking them out too....hows the fit??.....can you lift them off by yourself??

it's not getting the hood of by yourself thats the problem. it is finding some place to put it while it is off. :brickwall:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
i have thought of that too since i have those 2 original steel roadrunner hoods stored....but i dont want to go slower

A stock weight 6 barrel hood isn't that much lighter....

george68hemirr

Reaction score
Big John said:
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:

i really didnt think they were that heavy....wow..thanks for the heads up.....do they bolt up to stock hinges and i would guess light tension springs too.....or a lift off.....i used the poles to store the hood when takin off

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Big John said:
i really didnt think they were that heavy....wow..thanks for the heads up.....do they bolt up to stock hinges and i would guess light tension springs too.....or a lift off.....i used the poles to store the hood when takin off

They were lift off, although I have seen some aftermarket versions that had hinges.

The stock 6 barrel hood is double thickness, actually an outside skin with an inner brace and airbox. They are a little lighter, but no where near as light as some of the aftermarket race hoods. Then there's the weight of the hinges and springs with the steel hood.

Have you thought about just reinforcing the hood you have? A little bit of cardboard and some fibreglass resin and cloth can do a lot.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
i definately need a better hood.....it only has 6 hood pins to hold it from ripping off the car at 130mph.....thanks guys for all your info

moparchris

Reaction score
I had a harwood light weight lift off 6 pack hood on my Dart for several seasons and it never cracked even when it flew off at 130! Thats a whole other story though. I would not recommend cutting a hole in the middle of it as it really takes the strength out of it. So maybe a hood with a bigger scoop to house the tunnel ram. I mean if you cant have a giant hood scoop then who can? You have a very legit reason to have a huge hood scoop. :cents: I second the Satellite hood. :pot:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
I second the Satellite hood. :pot:

For that matter, what about a glass RR hood with a hole in it for the Dominators to protrude through? Then you could have the HEMI badges on the inlets... :cool:

Of course a '70's style snorkle on a Satellite hood would just be plain old school bad-assed, but that is just my :cents:

:jester:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
THATS THE PROBLEM THE TUNNEL RAM....SO IF I BUY A HEAVY DUTY 6PK HOOD WITH REINFORCEMENT IT SHOULD BE OK,,,my light weight is just flopping in the breeze and has flown off the car when i forgot to pin it......was repainted and he said he would take care of the stress cracks but its worse now....i think the scoop built into the hood gives it more strength verses a flat hood....the problem is if i hinge it i would need a big hole or cut a smaller hole and take off the scoop every time i lift the hood .......its a toss up....i have to see how heavy the hood is...i may just pin it :D

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
I think it's all going to be about personal preference at this point George. Anyway you decide to go the car will still look killer for sure. The question is how much b.s. do you want to deal with when you have to lift it.

my light weight is just flopping in the breeze and has flown off the car when i forgot to pin it......
Did you $hit when that happened or what? Holy crap. :eek:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
i was so freakin pissed at myself.......i usually polish up the hemi then pop on the hood and pin it after i polish that but forgot and polished up the rest of the car for a car show.....i pulled out the driveway and goose it and she went straight up and just missed the backend of the car......scrapped the hell out of it and it also landed on its nose and then chunked out the corner......500.00 to fix and paint.....i was sick......got to the show and everybody said yo.....wheres the hood.....i said dont even go there....that was the valley central show where i posted it on youtube.....the long burnout without the hood :D

[youtube:9wlzhqtr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7LnvwNWmUk[/youtube:9wlzhqtr]

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Yeah I can see how that could happen, and I would've been beating myself up over that too. Just be thankful it missed the rest of the car. You got off easy in the grand scheme of things. We'll call it a teachable moment. :lol:
Awesome burnout. :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
I think if you cut a hole in any hood you're going to loose strength. I think Ray is onto something here, buy the fiberglass Road Runner flat hood from AAR and then cut a hole in it and bolt it to the stock hinges. I think they even have 68 and 69 hoods to choose from. I have a flat bolt on hood from AAR for my Swinger and its very nice.

Back