• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Hemi GTX vert resto article= dumpster fire

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I really couldn't care less about date codes etc but I do like to check out and read mag articles about those cars. I noticed when I saw an article about a marroon 68 GTX that the writers took a "special" shot at the job. I'm sure many of you saw that and since I'm always suspcious of people looking to get "free run", I won't mention the magazine.

The new magazine came in the mail today and the resto guys that built the car had responded with reasons why the car is "correct', whatever that is.

The mag again ripped them to shreds. That reaffirmed to me why I couldn't care less about date codes and if the stupid power steeing cap or wire holders are painted the "right" way.

Thoughts on concours restos and/or the free entertainment this pissing contest has provided?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
not withstanding I could never afford a high dollar resto, It's a shame that the correct original oparts cost so much a regular smuck like me can never have them. but in all reality, if in 197------ if my car needed a new fan belt or rad hose, I would've done what I do now. go to the Car Quest and get the parts. And you see these beautiful cars, and the majority will never see the road.

mannye

Reaction score
I'm not getting it (nor do I get the mags in the mail anymore) so I haven't seen the article in question.

What's the beef? THe mag says the car isn't correct and the resto dudes say it is?

I'm one of those date code freaks, but I'm starting to find out that if you actually want to drive and enjoy your car you can't have a "perfect" car. I think a lot of people lose sight of just how difficult it is to keep a "show winner" that's also a driver.

But back to the mag! Is there a drama unfolding? Is there film at 11? Will I marlvel that the intrigue? :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
There are so many stories of how the factory would use whatever parts they had on hand to build a car, how can anyone know for sure what really is, or is not, correct for these cars. I really think that when these mags start this stuff it is to drag out a story to later issues so people who really care, or think they do, will just keep buying more issues to find out how it turns out. But like Dave said, when I need a part to keep the car running, I get what I can at a local parts store. While I like to keep them looking as close to "as built," as possible, I drive my cars so I'll do what I have to to keep it on the road.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
mannye said:
I'm not getting it (nor do I get the mags in the mail anymore) so I haven't seen the article in question.

What's the beef? THe mag says the car isn't correct and the resto dudes say it is?

I'm one of those date code freaks, but I'm starting to find out that if you actually want to drive and enjoy your car you can't have a "perfect" car. I think a lot of people lose sight of just how difficult it is to keep a "show winner" that's also a driver.

But back to the mag! Is there a drama unfolding? Is there film at 11? Will I marlvel that the intrigue? :lol:

Basically a real nice OEM type resto was done on the car and some known guys were who did it. The rag busted them down on several things and had a nice little smartass flair to it. So of course they responded but the rag really went off the next time.

Some of it is constructive but overall it reeks of attention seeking, which is why I don't want to give them free run. Car won't be driven so I have to laugh at all involved. Like having a nice house and not living it it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
I really couldn't care less about date codes etc but I do like to check out and read mag articles about those cars. I noticed when I saw an article about a marroon 68 GTX that the writers took a "special" shot at the job. I'm sure many of you saw that and since I'm always suspcious of people looking to get "free run", I won't mention the magazine.

The new magazine came in the mail today and the resto guys that built the car had responded with reasons why the car is "correct', whatever that is.

The mag again ripped them to shreds. That reaffirmed to me why I couldn't care less about date codes and if the stupid power steeing cap or wire holders are painted the "right" way.

Thoughts on concours restos and/or the free entertainment this pissing contest has provided?
Is that the OE Gold car ? I thought it was an interesting article. One your sticking your neck out when you have it judged and they look for flaws that's the game and two I'm surprised he got Gold, I thought it had to be perfect in the eyes of the judges.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Problem with these concours resto's and so called experts is and you guys know this is Chrysler was never consistant on the way they built their cars. I was at Carlise 9 years ago parked with a couple of 69 Verts,there was this guy from West Virginana that had a butterscotch 69 4 speed,His father bought the car new it was an early 69 like mine,he restored it and entered it in Concours at the Nats I believe,they hammered him having an incorrect horn,(it was black like mine originally was) and black buttons on the door handles,(I still have my black button ones in the attic) He pointed out that this was all OEM and the car had been in his family since new,the judge just dismissed him,now adays these so called experts have acknowledged that early build cars come with 68 parts because they were left in the bins at the assembly plants.Its like Hemi's in 4drs and station wagons and 4spds in latter C bodys,the experts use to say they didn't exsist now documented example have appeared.Yeah its neat to see a car as it appeared at the dealership in 68-69 but face it most of us drive and enjoy our cars thats what they were meant for,the magazines for the most part have gotten away from this whole has it got the right chalk marks on it for a 69 red coupe built at 3:31 PM on October 23rd 1968 at St Louis,I say enjoy your car trailer queen or beater :yesnod:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jays69bird said:
I say enjoy your car trailer queen or beater :yesnod:

Hear, Hear!!! :cheers:

I'd like to be enjoying my old war horse (or any of my cars for that matter) a bit more...but it seems like it is freakin' raining everyday just about the time that I get home... :brickwall:

And if it isn't raining then the grass needs cut...or something... But I digress... :lol:

:jester:

droptop

Reaction score
I have some inside information on this whole deal. I personally know the owner, and the restorer. The whole deal started about the color of the engine. The mag editor stated that the engine was the wrong shade. (to light if I recall) Come to find out, he had never seen the car in person and was making his judgment on pictures. As anyone who has taken enough pictures will tell you that color in pictures depends on so many variables. Light, film, camera, lens, shutter speed, etc. I know that lawyers have been consulted by the owner.

Anyone that has seen this car will tell you it is stunning. You don't win OE gold and Best of Show at the Mopar Nationals with something as major as the engine being the wrong color. As far as driving it, it has only been driven in and out of an enclosed car hauler. This car is a museum piece at this time. But knowing the owner, he might get a wild hair one day and take off and drive cross country in it.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
My :cents:

I've met several of these so called "expert" magazine writers. They don't impress me much. Generally speaking, its a part time job for them and there is nothing about them that makes them know anymore then anyone else. It always has just burnt my butt that some people take what they write as gospel.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Big John said:

I've met several of these so called "expert" magazine writers. They don't impress me much. Generally speaking, its a part time job for them and there is nothing about them that makes them know anymore then anyone else. It always has just burnt my butt that some people take what they write as gospel.

Agreed. I have a book here called 50 Years of Chrysler's Hottest Cars with text and photos by Nicky Wright. His Bio reads: "Nicky Wright in one of the world's leading author-photographers of automotive books...Since the late 1970's, Nicky Wright has written and photographed twenty-one car books..."

Well, call me unimpressed. His section on the muscle Dodges and Plymouths leaves very much to be desired - especially the section on the '68-'69 road runner. This guy evidently did little or no research, his research team did little or no research or he just listened to some clueless car jocks because his information is very innacurate. Even I know more than this guy! He should have contacted Gordon Cherry - the surviving partner of the two-man team that came up with the idea for the road runner. If this guy is "...one of the world's leading author-photographers of automotive books..." then I'm Albert Einstein.

sam z

Reaction score
Wow...sounds like a cheap attempt to create a reality show through a magazine. Stayed tuned for the staged argument in our next issue...

Another reason why I don't waste my money on these magazines anymore. Just add it to my number one reason that I don't care what happened at the last auction.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Here is an example of screwing facts up, they copied everything off my board but my name, city and award and couldn't get it right.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Here is an example of screwing facts up, they copied everything off my board but my name, city and award and couldn't get it right.

Yeah, and they even failed to give Mrs. HemiBeep her ownership credit when it was right there on the board...bastards... :toetap:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

Yeah, and they even failed to give Mrs. HemiBeep her ownership credit when it was right there on the board...bastards... :toetap:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yea those Bastards :soap: :leave:

jays69bird

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Big John said:

Agreed. I have a book here called 50 Years of Chrysler's Hottest Cars with text and photos by Nicky Wright. His Bio reads: "Nicky Wright in one of the world's leading author-photographers of automotive books...Since the late 1970's, Nicky Wright has written and photographed twenty-one car books..."

Well, call me unimpressed. His section on the muscle Dodges and Plymouths leaves very much to be desired - especially the section on the '68-'69 road runner. This guy evidently did little or no research, his research team did little or no research or he just listened to some clueless car jocks because his information is very innacurate. Even I know more than this guy! He should have contacted Gordon Cherry - the surviving partner of the two-man team that came up with the idea for the road runner. If this guy is "...one of the world's leading author-photographers of automotive books..." then I'm Albert Einstein.
Alot of these guys are Ford or Chevy guys that write these books,just because you can snap some pictures and google some facts don't make you an expert! :soap:

Back