• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Hemi GTX vert resto article= dumpster fire

mcmopar

Reaction score
moparchris said:
I have found that you can never say never when it comes to how a car was built. :cents:

True - but if you read this guy's book you'll understand just how far off he is at times. :loco: (such as claiming the Daytona Charger was available from the factory with a 440 6 pack engine. Only 440 4bbl and Hemi engines were officially available).
And after hearing the story of how the road runner came into being from the horse's mouth (the father of the road runner himself, Jack Smith) at the 2005 Mopar Nats you'd know what I mean.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Geeez.. it just hit me... My friend owned a 68 GTX hemi rag top. I think it was B-5 blue, but had custom white paint at the time he had it. That car went to Canada in the ninties. I wonder if its the same car.

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Regarding the first post, I just read that "article" in Mopar Action.

Why would they get in a pissing contest with that restoration shop?
Who cares? I suppose it's super important to the folks at MA that they be considered an authority on what's correct. :stuckup:

I couldn't even finish reading all of that point / counter point crap.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and it's not just cars. I get a chuckel anytime a WWll aircraft comes to a local airport, and the news does a story. All they would have to do is spend 5 minuets with a crew member, but they get their "facts" from who knows where, and they look like idiots everytime.
doesn't Eberg have an A12 runner? be neat to have him as a member.

Big John

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
and it's not just cars. I get a chuckel anytime a WWll aircraft comes to a local airport, and the news does a story. All they would have to do is spend 5 minuets with a crew member, but they get their "facts" from who knows where, and they look like idiots everytime.

He has a clone.

moparstuart

Reaction score
Big John said:
Basketcase said:

He has a clone.
clones are cars too !! :basketcase: :jester:

moparchris

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
moparchris said:
I have found that you can never say never when it comes to how a car was built. :cents:

True - but if you read this guy's book you'll understand just how far off he is at times. :loco: (such as claiming the Daytona Charger was available from the factory with a 440 6 pack engine. Only 440 4bbl and Hemi engines were officially available).
And after hearing the story of how the road runner came into being from the horse's mouth (the father of the road runner himself, Jack Smith) at the 2005 Mopar Nats you'd know what I mean.

Oh no, I wasn't refering to the book you were talking about. I was refering to the point counter point in Mopar Action. The coffee table books are good for casual looking only, most are so far in left field that they might as well be writing about rare red Chevelles.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Every once in a while I do talk to an expert that knows his stuff,Eberg would never return my letters,but years ago (back in the 80s) I was a member of the Roadrunner GTX assn.The guy that ran that was John Dallian (hope I spelled that right).I met him in person at Carlise one year,I learned alot from him in a half hour conversation,what impressed me is when I introduced myself he not only remembered me from the club (which was long defunct) but remembered my brother being in it,and this was the first time I met the man face to face. I also remember doing business with the late Ron Slobe of R&R salvage,he loved talking Chrysler products he would have you on the phone for an hour and would help you if you had questions.While there are some windbags in this hobby there are also some great people,and from my experience on this board you guys fall into that great bunch of guys catagory. :worship:

mcmopar

Reaction score
moparchris said:
mcmopar said:
moparchris said:

Oh no, I wasn't refering to the book you were talking about. I was refering to the point counter point in Mopar Action. The coffee table books are good for casual looking only, most are so far in left field that they might as well be writing about rare red Chevelles.

Sorry - got our wires crossed there. Yeah, I'm with you on the coffee table books. Sometimes they get it right but most times there is some bad info in them.

mannye

Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
Regarding the first post, I just read that "article" in Mopar Action.

Why would they get in a pissing contest with that restoration shop?
Who cares? I suppose it's super important to the folks at MA that they be considered an authority on what's correct. :stuckup:

I couldn't even finish reading all of that point / counter point crap.

Well, yeah. I think it SHOULD be super important for the leading periodical in the hobby to be correct. It's where most of us get our info on resto stuff. That's not to say that they can't be fun, but if I was paying through the nose (which I keep wondering why people do these days) I would want to know if someone who is supposed to be a "restoration shop" is sucking at it.

Of course, I haven't read the article, so I'm not sure what the beef is. Is it the current month it's in? My subscription lapsed again. Now if they are all of a sudden picking on this ONE shop and they have never done it before... that's fishy.

mcmopar

Reaction score
The only way to get a car 100% correct is to get a survivor that is totally unmolested (no replacement parts ever used on it) and duplicate it EXACTLY as it originally was. Fat chance. These are assembly line manufactured machines. Not everything was done exactly to manufacturer's specs. My car, when it was new, was built right after a strike. When the guys came back to work they started up the line and used whatever parts were on hand in order to get units out the door. When one of the owners after me had Galen run the build sheet he made mention of a few things that weren't "correct" (the carb was one of them) but yet they were the original parts installed by the factory. The guys on the line didn't have time to make sure every nut and bolt was the correct one. If they ran low or out of something they would use an acceptable substitute to keep things moving along until someone was able to get the correct parts to them. So if you can get a car "perfect" it most likely won't be "correct" and by the same token, if you can make your car "correct" according to the knowledge we have now it most likely won't be how the factory built it. The nitpicking some folks do about the correct muffler flange, etc, etc, is in my opinion, just plain silly. Mopar Action did a story back in the 90's about a red Daytona Charger that the owner fully restored. One of the attaching bolts for the trunk striker (the hook shaped unit mounted in the trunk) was painted green, the other red. The guy took video of it in its original condition just to prove to the know-it-alls that this was the way it actually was because he knew he'd get nicked on that little detail. With everything he did he still got only a 94% grade. To me that's how ridiculous all this has become. Hey, its great if you want to build a static display model but I prefer to see a nice car in great shape being driven down the road! :cents:

moparchris

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
The only way to get a car 100% correct is to get a survivor that is totally unmolested (no replacement parts ever used on it) and duplicate it EXACTLY as it originally was. Fat chance. These are assembly line manufactured machines. Not everything was done exactly to manufacturer's specs. My car, when it was new, was built right after a strike. When the guys came back to work they started up the line and used whatever parts were on hand in order to get units out the door. When one of the owners after me had Galen run the build sheet he made mention of a few things that weren't "correct" (the carb was one of them) but yet they were the original parts installed by the factory. The guys on the line didn't have time to make sure every nut and bolt was the correct one. If they ran low or out of something they would use an acceptable substitute to keep things moving along until someone was able to get the correct parts to them. So if you can get a car "perfect" it most likely won't be "correct" and by the same token, if you can make your car "correct" according to the knowledge we have now it most likely won't be how the factory built it. The nitpicking some folks do about the correct muffler flange, etc, etc, is in my opinion, just plain silly. Mopar Action did a story back in the 90's about a red Daytona Charger that the owner fully restored. One of the attaching bolts for the trunk striker (the hook shaped unit mounted in the trunk) was painted green, the other red. The guy took video of it in its original condition just to prove to the know-it-alls that this was the way it actually was because he knew he'd get nicked on that little detail. With everything he did he still got only a 94% grade. To me that's how ridiculous all this has become. Hey, its great if you want to build a static display model but I prefer to see a nice car in great shape being driven down the road! :cents:

I agree 100%. On an interesting note, I just got done cutting up a low mileage parts car (a 68 Satellite) and found something that is remarkable. We all know that no worker ever took the time to paint the entire underside of the car, which is why most cars have primer on the bottom. This car is painted lovingly underneath as if it was the painters car. There is no primer to be found only paint that is nice enough to wax! If you were to restore a car today the "experts" would ding you up one side and down the other. My point is the same as yours, they were all different.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Did you ever see the car(I think it was a 69 SuperBee A12 six pack) Where the owner pulled the gastank and there was a tic tac doe game in assembly line marker under the tank! So one had some fun when that one went down the line,I think that car was in Mopar Action,how would the judges score that! :stooges:

jays69bird

Reaction score
moparchris said:
mcmopar said:

I agree 100%. On an interesting note, I just got done cutting up a low mileage parts car (a 68 Satellite) and found something that is remarkable. We all know that no worker ever took the time to paint the entire underside of the car, which is why most cars have primer on the bottom. This car is painted lovingly underneath as if it was the painters car. There is no primer to be found only paint that is nice enough to wax! If you were to restore a car today the "experts" would ding you up one side and down the other. My point is the same as yours, they were all different.
That car was probably being bought by the line worker line Clint Eastwoods character in Gran Torino,bet you he took his time installing that steering column. :D

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Numbers game not for me, it's a good thing for some people with the right cars and it's good for history. I grew up with cars my Dad has a '58 and '64 Vette and all his friends were into the NCRS and Bloomington gold thing. To see those guys scrounging parts all worried about numbers....... alot of effort that 99.9% of the people are never going to notice. A survivor car is one thing but something thru the mill forget it. I got better things to do with my life.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I too agree. Fortunately for me, my A12 was factory equipped with a mini-starter... :lmao:

:jester:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I too agree. Fortunately for me, my A12 was factory equipped with a mini-starter... :lmao:

There have been a couple of times when I knew that the possibility existed that a few keystrokes on this forum could directly lead to a change in my avatar ranking - the "Mustard Toe Incident" for instance. This one however is one that I NEVER saw coming... :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="ACME A12":2wf82r1q]I too agree. Fortunately for me, my A12 was factory equipped with a mini-starter... :lmao:

There have been a couple of times when I knew that the possibility existed that a few keystrokes on this forum could directly lead to a change in my avatar ranking - the "Mustard Toe Incident" for instance. This one however is one that I NEVER saw coming... :lol:

:jester:[/quote:2wf82r1q]
Open mouth... Insert foot! :jester: Do you want some salt with that?:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="ACME A12":75c2k0r1]I too agree. Fortunately for me, my A12 was factory equipped with a mini-starter... :lmao:

:jester:[/quote:75c2k0r1]

You're lucky I can't figure out how to put the starter sound file into your ranking. :jester:

Back