• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 383 original Hemi Orange engine???

trim88

Reaction score
Well I thought all the 69 383 engines were painted Turquoise. So when I started in on my Hemi Orange engine, thinking by stripping the engine to repaint I would find evidence of the original Turquoise..... what the heck, no Turquoise???. I could tell the intake and the heads had been repainted but the engine didn't look like it had been (only 54,000 miles on it), oh, but it must have been. :huh: Upon looking for professional guidance for preping to paint I came upon this info http://www.totallyautoinc.com/paintingtips.html . Guess there were some Hemi Orange 69 383 engines. The ones with Carter carbs were orange according to Totally Auto's research.
So now we take the paint back and try again......on and on it goes.... and I was going to be through with this project in a couple weeks :lol:
I like orange better! :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
trim88 said:
Well I thought all the 69 383 engines were painted Turquoise. So when I started in on my Hemi Orange engine, thinking by stripping the engine to repaint I would find evidence of the original Turquoise..... what the heck, no Turquoise???. I could tell the intake and the heads had been repainted but the engine didn't look like it had been (only 54,000 miles on it), oh, but it must have been. :huh: Upon looking for professional guidance for preping to paint I came upon this info http://www.totallyautoinc.com/paintingtips.html . Guess there were some Hemi Orange 69 383 engines. The ones with Carter carbs were orange according to Totally Auto's research.
So now we take the paint back and try again......on and on it goes.... and I was going to be through with this project in a couple weeks :lol:
I do believe the turquoise was used on the lower HP air conditioned cars. Paint it the way you want it. :cents: Hemi orange boogers look better if you paint without a mask :lmao:

BBillyC

Reaction score
In 1969 I bought a new 383 four speed Road Runner, w/o air, but with the air grabber.....the engine was hemi orange. My 68 Charger was a 440 and it was turquoise.

trim88

Reaction score
O K, If with A/C it's Turquoise and without it's orange.... then where did the Carter carb. = orange and Holly carb = turquoise.
Does that mean all A/C engines had Holly carbs? and all non A/C had Carter carbs?
:huh:
Think I'll just go back to work :cool:

Collin

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
trim88 said:
I do believe the turquoise was used on the lower HP air conditioned cars. Paint it the way you want it. :cents: Hemi orange boogers look better if you paint without a mask :lmao:

I still sneeze orange!! :eek: :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Collin said:
69hemibeep said:
Hemi orange boogers look better if you paint without a mask :lmao:

I still sneeze orange!! :eek: :lol:

I was waiting for one of the newer guys to ask what the hell that was all about... :basketcase:

:jester:

Collin

Reaction score
looks like i did a line of cheetos!! haha i have since started wearing a mask...

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
A/C= Turquoise Non-A/C=Orange....... :thumbsup:
That is correct for 1969 models :thumbsup: Mine is Turquoise because it is an A/C car. Also, the 1969 A/C road runners got the 330 hp 383 - not the 335 hp model.

moparstuart

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Hoosier Bird said:
That is correct for 1969 models :thumbsup: Mine is Turquoise because it is an A/C car. Also, the 1969 A/C road runners got the 330 hp 383 - not the 335 hp model.
I never understood that , a/c is heavier and boggs the motor down so lets make it have less horses LOL :jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
mcmopar said:
Hoosier Bird said:
I never understood that , a/c is heavier and boggs the motor down so lets make it have less horses LOL :jester:
More HP means more heat and so does A/C. Now I'm thinking out loud, I think they used a standard 383 cam instead of the 440 so when you turned on that huge compressor it would idle smoother.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparstuart said:
More HP means more heat and so does A/C. Now I'm thinking out loud, I think they used a standard 383 cam instead of the 440 so when you turned on that huge compressor it would idle smoother.

Probably left the valve lash looser too... :basketcase:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A31PKG

Reaction score
To recap:
(This is regarding the HP V-8 engines)
1. All 68's were turquoise, regardless of weather it had A/C or not
2. In 69 the non-A/C engines were painted hemi orange and the A/C-equipped units were
turquoise
3. The HP rating was 335 for non-A/C & 330 for A/C - both years
4. Carb type (Carter in 68-69, and Holley for 69.5 A12 cars) did not play a role in engine
color
5. Holley 4 barrels appeared for the 70 model year

There will be a quiz................. :cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
To recap:
2. In 69 the non-A/C engines were painted hemi orange and the A/C-equipped units were
turquoise
4. Carb type (Carter in 68-69, and Holley for 69.5 A12 cars) did not play a role in engine
color

We are like the Borg, you must quiz us as a collective unit :lol:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
A31PKG said:
To recap:
turquoise
color

We are like the Borg, you must quiz us as a collective unit :lol:
you will be assemilated

Back