• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 383 original Hemi Orange engine???

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
A31PKG said:
To recap:
(This is regarding the HP V-8 engines)
1. All 68's were turquoise, regardless of weather it had A/C or not
2. In 69 the non-A/C engines were painted hemi orange and the A/C-equipped units were
turquoise
3. The HP rating was 335 for non-A/C & 330 for A/C - both years
4. Carb type (Carter in 68-69, and Holley for 69.5 A12 cars) did not play a role in engine
color
5. Holley 4 barrels appeared for the 70 model year

There will be a quiz................. :cheers:
We are like the Borg, you must quiz us as a collective unit :lol:
you will be assemilated
And the best line of all, Resistance is futile!!!! :devil:

A31PKG

Reaction score
....and it counts for a third of the grade.

You can opt out of the final, if yours is the longest burnout in the parking lot.

mcmopar

Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
actually the 330 hp were Holleys w/ turquiose paint and the 335 hp were Carters w/ orange paint .
there were Holley four barrels in '69

http://www.69roadrunner.net/Tech%20Refe ... Barrel.pdf

Never heard that one. Mine was decoded by GV and it was listed as having a 330 hp 383, Carter 4 bbl carb and a/c.
According to the NHRA engine blueprint specs for 1969 http://www.nhra.net/tech_specs/engine/blueprints/CHRY-69.rtf the only Holley equipped 4 bbl big block engine for 1969 was the 350 hp 440 used in the full sized (C-Body) Chrysler models with automatic transmissions. To my knowledge no Holley 4 bbl was used in a performance application in 1969, nor on any 383 in 1969. 1969 a/c equipped road runners were equipped with Carter carbs only.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The reference book is correct and so is every one else according to my interchange book, it shows a Holley 4160 used on the 1969 383 except for Road Runner, Super bee, Cuda and Dart GTS models :grouphug:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Sounds like C-Body low performance models then. Certainly no B-Body or A-Body models, unless they used them on 383's in Chargers. I've never seen one but who knows what Ma Mopar may have done? I wonder why NHRA doesn't specify them for use on 383's? Seems odd, especially since the specs have been revised many times with last revision to the specs being done 6/7/11. Those class racers are a hard nosed group and if a Holley carb had been available for a 383 you can bet they would have lobbied long, hard and loud so that they could use it in competition.
I sometimes wonder about some of those books, especially the factory books, because they printed them up before the models were produced and in some instances certain options or equipment were deleted when it came time for production; case in point, the 1972 440+6 engine option which was shown in some 1972 literature but deleted for production (even though a very small number of them got out the door - possibly for executives).

A31PKG

Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
actually the 330 hp were Holleys w/ turquiose paint and the 335 hp were Carters w/ orange paint .
there were Holley four barrels in '69

http://www.69roadrunner.net/Tech%20Refe ... Barrel.pdf

I'm fairly certain that although a holley may have been used on a big block in 68-69, it did NOT appear on a performance b-body...

If anyone knows of an original car equipped as such, post a pic! Anything's possible in MOPAR-land.

sam z

Reaction score
My car is in the shop now. 69 coupe, bare bones nothing model. Getting a turquoise engine
for the simple reason I like the turquoise. With all of alterations my car has seen it doesn't
really matter anymore on the factory / OEM thing.

Nice thread, I like all the info and specs.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sam z said:
My car is in the shop now. 69 coupe, bare bones nothing model. Getting a turquoise engine
for the simple reason I like the turquoise. With all of alterations my car has seen it doesn't

My 440 might end up black :yesnod:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
sam z said:

My 440 might end up black :yesnod:
once you had black you never go .......... :acme:

A31PKG

Reaction score
3BIRD,
I'm just saying that having been around these cars for what seems like forever, I have never seen a 68-69 single-carbed performance b-body factory equipped with a holley carb. A/C or not. I have lots of pics of the aforementioned 'bee. The owner was gracious enough to let me "under the ropes" at the survivor tent at Carlisle a couple years ago....It is equipped with a Carter AVS. I for one (and I'm sure others) would be very interested to see pics of an original 69 'Runner with a factory placed holley. Even better, is there a build sheet? This is all in fun, and in the spirit of learning and friendship. I was not "calling you" on anything. You learn something new every day my friend!

:grouphug:

mcmopar

Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
The hardtop 4/24/69 I have that my parents bought in,71 is turqoiuse witha factory Holley if I'm called on it I can dig it out for pictures if it was an assembly line fluke or not who knows but there is an Air Bee with a Holley also in this thread so I know I'm not alone here.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... art=1&vc=1
I don't doubt that it may have had a Holley on it - but look at when it was bought - 1971. One must consider that between the time it was bought and the time your parents acquired it a modification may have been done by the previous owner. Perhaps the factory installed carb had a problem and the dealership switched out the original Carter for a 1970 Holley? Or maybe the original owner did not like the AVS and wanted a Holley so he had a 1970 model Holley installed. Pics don't mean that much unless they can be backed up by documentation - and the documentation that I have seen so far all indicates that for 1969 the Carter AVS was the only carb installed on Dodge/Plymouth 383 equipped B-Bodies. You cannot assume that just because your parent's car had a Holley on it that it was a factory installed carb - especially since they did not buy it new. If you had a build sheet or fender tag indicating a factory installed Holley carb I'd gladly concede the point. :cents:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The model and date of the holley might tell the story. The dealers did some weird things before the customer bought the car also, it may have be stolen. My car was delivered to the dealer and the soon to be owner was told it was being prepped, two weeks later he took delivery and he never did find out why they held it from him so long. When I took the car apart and documented everything I found a ding in the right wing window frame and after market glass, so I asked when the car was broken into and he said never. That's when he told me about the delay on purchase so we kind of figured the dealer gave up waiting for factory glass and went after market. I also knew of a guy that would get most of his parts off dealer lots a night until he got caught. Things happen

droptop

Reaction score
Every time I read a thread of this type, I just shake my head. There is no cut and dry, this is the way it is on Chrysler products. There are so many variables that could alter from the norm. Things differ from plant to plant, suppliers, line workers, typo's, etc. Any thing is possible. My '69 GTX is coded for a 9.75 dana but I know for a fact that it had an 8.75 in it when it was delivered to the original owner. It was changed at the dealership before it was turned over to the owner. Things like this happened all the time.

glhcarl

Reaction score
There was an NHRA site on the web that listed car for every year with the advertised horsepower, compression ratio and carburetor. It was used to determine which class a car ran in! My computer crashed and I lost the site, but I remember that the 335hp 383's all had Carter carburetors. :horse:

mcmopar

Reaction score
glhcarl said:
There was an NHRA site on the web that listed car for every year with the advertised horsepower, compression ratio and carburetor. It was used to determine which class a car ran in! My computer crashed and I lost the site, but I remember that the 335hp 383's all had Carter carburetors. :horse:
Yup - I posted that link on page 3.
Now I will grant that if the car was a very late production '69 model it might have gotten the 1970 Holley 4 bbl. But usually it was the other way around with early build new models having equipment from the previous year's production parts. I know of a guy with an early production '70 road runner 440+6 that has the 1969 aluminum 6 bbl intake instead of the 1970 cast iron production part. I'll agree that strange things happened all the time back then but when a car has been through an owner or two I have less faith that parts on the car are original.

glhcarl

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
glhcarl said:
Boy do I feel stupid? :brickwall:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
glhcarl said:
mcmopar said:
glhcarl said:
Boy do I feel stupid? :brickwall:
Carl, you and I can go to Evelyn Wood together :brickwall: :lmao:

Back