• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 roadrunner Electrical problem

Wildie

Reaction score
No start with Key ,Jump the relay fires up + side of coil does not have 12 volts at cranking has like 3 volts ,put key on and jump out starter relay and starts starting to get stress out any help would be great

Ranger

Reaction score
So it cranks just fine, but only has 3v at the coil when cranking and gets a full 12v when jumping the relay. Is that correct?

If you remove and look at the back of the ignition switch, you'll see IGN1 and IGN2.
IGN1 is the run position and sends voltage through the ballast resistor to reduce voltage to the coil. IGN2 bypasses the resistor during cranking to give a full 12v to the coil for start up (which you don't seem to have). I'd check the switch, connections at the switch and at the bulkhead connector as well as the ballast resistor.

Last edited:

TOMRR

Reaction score
I had same issue ,Mine was the key switch !!

Wildie

Reaction score
Thanks i ran a new wire from back of switch ING2 to coil it started 1 time then same thing so it has to be bad key switch after market parts suck going to look for a better made switch

Ranger

Reaction score
If you want to verify the switch use a DVM and set it to continuity. The ones that emit a tone when you have continuity are the best. Put the black probe on the ground spade and the red probe on the IGN2 spade. When you turn the switch to the crank position, you should here the continuity tone. If you put it on the IGN1 spade, you should hear the tone when you release the key to the run position.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I am with you on the after market part's. It suck's not being able to get original part's. So I feel ya. :elmer: after market. Take that and that.

Back