• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 Roadrunner factory air questions

coolbreeze

Reaction score
Northwest Indiana-30 minutes from Chicago
Would like as much info as possible. First of all, would like a list of all the oem componants.
On the oem system did the compressor run constantly with a full charge or did the compressor cycle? If it ran constantly, which componant allows it to regulate so the evaporator doesn't freeze up?
This car has been converted to 134A and I'm told that if it runs off a thermostst, it's better.
Another issue is that while it's on max air, not all the air comes out of the dash vents. A good amount also comes out on the floor. That surely doesn't seem right.
Any help would be appreciated.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I like you think their should be a thermostat near the cooling coil. I bought a classic air model and it dose have the stat. at the cooling coil's. As far as blowing out the floor vent's something dose not sound rite. Is it after market or OER. Think some of the other guys might be more help than I. Russ.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Still should be a thermostat some where in the air box I would think. Also the switch on the dash should switch door panels to make the air come through the dash vent's and heat would come out the floor vent and maybe the dash also. Hope someone will chime in and tell me how WRONG I am. This might help you out. I have big shoulders and take the jab's. Russ. supper man. .jpg Defender of the blue. UP UP and AWAY!!!!!!

coolbreeze

Reaction score
Yeah, even though this was quite a restoration, I don't think the guy restored anything in the heater/air box. I'm thinking either the door isn't closing all the way when you put it on A/C or the seals are all deteriorated.

As far as the thermostat, one guy said it would be mounted on the firewall next to the thermostatic expansion valve. ??

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
This car was striped of a lot non ac car so did not even have the heater box. The aftermarket air and heat has the duct under the dash which is ok. I dose hook up to the defrost for wind shield. Was hoping 69Hemibeep or A12 Would chime in. You can type in the search box top right and search old thread's. Reference material near bottom is also good to search. Well hope this helps May be some of the other guy's will chime in. Good luck and wait a little while. Russ.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Would like as much info as possible. First of all, would like a list of all the oem componants.
On the oem system did the compressor run constantly with a full charge or did the compressor cycle? If it ran constantly, which componant allows it to regulate so the evaporator doesn't freeze up?
This car has been converted to 134A and I'm told that if it runs off a thermostst, it's better.
Another issue is that while it's on max air, not all the air comes out of the dash vents. A good amount also comes out on the floor. That surely doesn't seem right.
Any help would be appreciated.
The best info for how it works and what components are there is found in your factory service manual. The next thing to have is a factory parts manual. If you don't have them, download them here: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

To answer your other questions, it runs constantly and with R12, there was no evaporator freeze up, so unless someone has added it, there won't be anything to prevent it. Actually, if someone did the conversion correctly, it will have a thermostatic switch added to the evaporator that shuts the compressor off if it freezes over, but we have no way of knowing what was done.

There's a few reasons why your air could be coming out the heater vents, including not having enough vacuum (got a big cam?) to switch the flapper doors in the heater box. It could be a bad vacuum hose, bad switch (although they usually totally fail) , bad actuators, or (most likely) bad seals on the heater box. The heater box can be rebuilt, I suggest you contact Mac on this site via PM if you want it done or you can source what you need from Detroit Muscle Technologies if you want to do it yourself.

With a 134a conversion, you are kind of on your on to figure out what was done correctly and what wasn't. It also sounds like you have a few well meaning, but uniformed folks giving you advice.

I'm at my limit as what I can help you with. I've done enough work on A/C systems to know that I don't know much.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Their you go Coolbreeze. I knew some on would give you the best advice possible. Like I said don't know a hole lot either but do try and help if at all possible. Never would try to give someone bad info. Hope we can give the best support we can to our bird brother's. Thank you big John. Don't know what we would do with out you guy's Russ.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I don't think Mac does A/C boxes but he can tell you where to go LOL

coolbreeze

Reaction score
Thank you very much Big John for your input. That will help. As I stated, it's my buddy's car. I've done a little automotive A/C work and have installed 2 aftermarket systems...Vinrage Air on a '56 Chevy and Classic Auto Air on my own '55 Chevy and of course pumped down many other cars and charged em up, but that's about it. I do residential air condtioning for a living but not automotive.

So hopefully I can get this system going for him eventually. It's obvious that the restorer didn't rebuild the box so that will have to be checked out. Thanks again both of you.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Say coolbreeze how do you like the classic auto air. That is what I got for my runner. Also was it easy to install. Russ. :thumbsup2:

Rich B

Reaction score
Would imagine as a humidistat/temperature device would be on evaporator to cycle compressor. Thought venting was done via mechanical cables, didn’t have AC anyways. On learning curve here also, still learning on things long forgotten about......

coolbreeze

Reaction score
Say coolbreeze how do you like the classic auto air. That is what I got for my runner. Also was it easy to install. Russ. :thumbsup2:
Love it!! And highly recommend it. Yes, easy to install, hooked up directly to my defrost ducts and didn't have to cut the original ones out as I would have with Vintage air. Oh, and I like the fact that nice easy smooth cables are used instead of those electronic servos that VA uses. Much less to go wrong. It gets so nice and cold I have to turn it down quite often unless it's 95 out. Also, Dwight for tech help is excellent there...very helpful.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I went with the classic air instead of vintage air due to vintage said I had to cut the glove box down. Did not like that Idea. so with classic no cutting of glove box. Thanks my friend for the info be awhile yet before putting mine in. Oh do you think it is better to put the ac in side before installing the dash? Russ.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes I did my test fit of the ac unit with the hole dash off. I have taken this hole car apart. To restore it. The shell was in tact. and started on it. If you look into my past post you can see what I have done to this runner. Let's see one inner fender-Upper and lower cowl-both hinge pillar post- remade the lower A pillars-Both latch pillars-Both quarters-full floor pan-Roof-inner outer frame where rain gutter's affix- Bothe rain gutter's-Had to recreate metal on inner frame where sail panels are- Dutch mans panel-Package tray- Redo the hinge hanger's- new trunk pan- trunk rain gutters- back valance panel- one piece of inner rocker on the passenger side where the pop out window let water in. Half tubed the outer rear wheel housing. So it went on and on. Then realized that a lot of stuff was missing on the inside of the car. It had been striped pretty much so. Had two mustang bucket seat's the original back seat was their. Four speed was gone and replaced with an automatic. The next time I buy a car to restore it think I will know more about what to look for. The excitement of finding one close to home got the best of me. Oh shell is painted-fender's. Now doing new door's then trunk lid and hood. But a lot left to paint. It seam's to go on and on. Three year's into it but be dang if I am giving up. Russ.

Rich B

Reaction score
Roger that Russ on the Mustang buckets. Wife had a ‘66 Beetle early ‘70’s and put a set of ‘67 2-tone blue buckets in that. Used existing VW seat mounts and strapped seats to those. Actually sat up higher and with new dark blue paint outside....Back seat was good so just put a piece of matched dark blue embossed leather on bench part, worked at a tannery. Could not kill that thing, great for commuting in those days.

If there’s a will, there’s a way of coarse. Great mini-novel by the way lol.

Back