• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 Roadrunner factory air questions

Rich B

Reaction score
My word, I wished I took typing; not then but later years with employment and who knew about computer keyboards? Too wished I payed more attention in English, used to sleep in that class lol. :xscuseless:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Too busy passing notes to the cheer leader's. Just learned that I can click and open a new browser and spell check my word. My dictionary wore out. :lol:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I got up this morning and sat at the dinning table and I pinched that nerve in my back again. So no workey too day. Hope you get better fast. Go ahead and bug away. I can take I am a man of steel supper man. .jpg

coolbreeze

Reaction score
Northwest Indiana-30 minutes from Chicago
Well, I did find out what some of the componants are and how they work. First of all right inside the top of the compressor was a valve which regulated the amount of freon into the evaporator so it wouldn't freeze up. It was used on the R-12 system...called an EPR Valve. (Evaporator pressure regulator)

Also the control switch has several vacum lines attached to it which operates the various functions by opening and closing the damper doors. There are vacum pots under the dash that you can see. When pushing one button or another you should be able to hear the vacum pot working as it shuts or opens a door. There are also electrical connections to this switch as well. On my friend's RR we're not hearing anything happen when you push those buttons and of course it's blowing onto the floor as well when A/C is turned on, indicating a possible fault with vacum operations.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Well, I did find out what some of the componants are and how they work. First of all right inside the top of the compressor was a valve which regulated the amount of freon into the evaporator so it wouldn't freeze up. It was used on the R-12 system...called an EPR Valve. (Evaporator pressure regulator)

Also the control switch has several vacum lines attached to it which operates the various functions by opening and closing the damper doors. There are vacum pots under the dash that you can see. When pushing one button or another you should be able to hear the vacum pot working as it shuts or opens a door. There are also electrical connections to this switch as well. On my friend's RR we're not hearing anything happen when you push those buttons and of course it's blowing onto the floor as well when A/C is turned on, indicating a possible fault with vacum operations.
A lot of times, that vacuum switch fails when the case ruptures and the "guts" fall out the back.

This shows how those switches are put together. https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/ams/how-to-rebuild-a-vacuum-heater-control-switch.58/

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey quickbird. Does having hip surgery hurt after you get out of the operating room and all the anesthesia wears off. I is hell when we get old enough to retire and enjoy not having to go to work every day. But our bodies wont let us do the things we want to do. Hope you have a speedy recovery buddy. Oh the rust and the red is all gone now enjoying the blues. :kartman: so sing me a song of the blues and I will have me a beer and play the harmonica man. Russ.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey coolbreeze that would be the high pressure regulator. Working as an electrician had to learn about ac unit's when going to class. I work on my own putting in fans. transformers for high and low voltage but I always said I would not own a set of gages or mess with Freon I have buddy's that do that for a living. I help them with their well pump's-thanks- and electrical need's. Yes those old dash pot's where grate when they are working rite. Hope you get the problem solved Buddy. Sounds like you have a handle on it. Russ.

Rich B

Reaction score
That’s uncanny Russ, you knowing electrical. Had a master’s license and 38 years with DoD as their electronics tech at Brunswick Naval Air Station Brunswick, ME. Army career ran mostly concurrent with civilian employment (R), worked just fine; double paychecks on active duty.

Also was state licensed as fire protection inspector for there, what we didn’t know about the Aqueous Film Forming Fluid (AFFF) medium...... its all not good. :soapbox: At Pease AFB in NH all getting cancer from that stuff leaching into the potable water supply. https://theintercept.com/2018/02/10/firefighting-foam-afff-pfos-pfoa-epa/

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
Russ, yes it hurts when out of surgery. They've got this down so good now that it takes about an hour and is now outpatient surgery. heals fairly fast but the biggest pain is cant sleep on that side. hoping to be mobile enough to get to the nats this weekend.

coolbreeze

Reaction score
Northwest Indiana-30 minutes from Chicago
Hey Coolbreeze. After working on this runner you will get the bug and will want one of your own. Russ. View attachment 28485
Hahaha. I wish I could but I already own a two tone blue '55 Chevy Belair 2 dr hardtop mild custom w/Clasdic Auto AirI've owned since 1963. It was my first car. And I restored it all myself. I also own a b-5 Blue Dodge Challenger. I think I have enough cars. In fact, if I brought another one home, I'M SURE MY WIFE WOULD PUT ME OUT IN THE GARAGE!!!

But I'm also in the middle of restoring our 2 Chevelles or finishing them actually for my 2 sons...a '68 and a '69. Both with factory air.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well lets see that Challenger. I love all the old muscle car's. This runner is the last thing I will restore except got to go through my 2705 Massey tractor and get it back into shape. Russ. :thumbsup2:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Russ, yes it hurts when out of surgery. They've got this down so good now that it takes about an hour and is now outpatient surgery. heals fairly fast but the biggest pain is cant sleep on that side. hoping to be mobile enough to get to the nats this weekend.
Yea it only hurts when I laugh. I had back surgery and man could not sleep or get comfortable no mater what stayed on Pain killers till I got back on my feet. Wish you speedy recovery. Russ. :thumbsup2:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That’s uncanny Russ, you knowing electrical. Had a master’s license and 38 years with DoD as their electronics tech at Brunswick Naval Air Station Brunswick, ME. Army career ran mostly concurrent with civilian employment (R), worked just fine; double paychecks on active duty.

Also was state licensed as fire protection inspector for there, what we didn’t know about the Aqueous Film Forming Fluid (AFFF) medium...... its all not good. :soapbox: At Pease AFB in NH all getting cancer from that stuff leaching into the potable water supply. https://theintercept.com/2018/02/10/firefighting-foam-afff-pfos-pfoa-epa/
I have and owner pesticide license because I farmed. Last class was all about diesel spills I am certified in clean up and can train for chemical spill's. Also being a well driller and training for what is going in to our potable ground water is scary these day's. Russ. :thumbsup2:

Back