• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

`70 road runner - finally getting to the restoration!

torredcuda

Reaction score
So after owning a `70 383, 4spd car back in 1980 and having to get rid of it instead of my dream of restoring I laways wanted another one. I`ve had other projects come and go along with my Barracuda I bought in 1982 which is my "keeper" but after selling a `69 Barracuda I built I decided to try and find another `70 road runner, this was in the year 2000. This time I wanted a factory FC7 painted one, I would have preferred white interior, 4 spd and other options (440-6, Hemi) but as always my budget was limited. I was able to find one for sale in New Jersey for $5,000 that looked very solid for a North East vehicle, had matching numbers 383 engine, missing transmission and a lot the interior which was black bench seat, column shift. Not having a truck or decent trailer to go get it I had a buddy offer to pick it up for a reasonable fee and since I was buying it sight unseen he could also check it out when he got there. I was very happy when I looked at t once it was home as the seller described it accurately, I`ve been buying parts for since then and had the engine rebuilt but otherwise have not done much with it. I finally made room in the shop by selling my truck project so have the space and some cash to finally get the project going. The plan is to go mostly stock looking with some added options and some "Day Two" add ons like slot wheels, Sun tach etc.

1970 road runner.jpg

torredcuda

Reaction score
No progress the last week or so as our 8 yr old has been sick and me as well. I did order almost $2400 in sheet metal that will hopefully be delivered soon, guess I should get my mig gas bottle refilled. :moparsmiley:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Used the same bottle between the mig and tig. Cannot tell you how many times I had to refill that bottle. It was big enough but still fit on the welding cart. Have fun.

torredcuda

Reaction score
I have both quarters and extensions coming from Auto Body Specialties, trunk floor coming from Texas thru Summit Racing but front floor is on back order.

torredcuda

Reaction score
I actually have to support mine on jack stands before I cut it apart anymore so I can get the new trunk and quarters welded on as I don`t want it to sag on the rotisserie. Iv`e had my garages heated with wood, then oil and now propane - it`s a necessity up here in the crappy, freezing cold New Hampshire winters. I`ve been trying to convince the wife to move south to the Virginia area but haven`t quite pulled it off yet.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I actually have to support mine on jack stands before I cut it apart anymore so I can get the new trunk and quarters welded on as I don`t want it to sag on the rotisserie. Iv`e had my garages heated with wood, then oil and now propane - it`s a necessity up here in the crappy, freezing cold New Hampshire winters. I`ve been trying to convince the wife to move south to the Virginia area but haven`t quite pulled it off yet.
I do have a space heater but that is more for my comfort. I don't think I will attempt Bondo and primer. I have lived in Virginia since 1989 and here in the Shenandoah Valley since 2011. It is beautiful here between the Appalachians' and the Blueridge mountains. I would recommend it.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That second clip on the window trim dose look out of place. I don't remember there being a bigger one up there. I could be wrong. That rot on the lower window frame is because of the seal leaking in the corner. These cars are noted for doing that. Had a small spot in the passenger side corner also but now where as bad as that good luck.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Trunk floor showed up today!

View attachment 36920
Nice. I hadn't intended to remove the tail panel so I bought two half trunk pans. That was 2010. But now that I am back working on it I found major rust on the rear crossmember I removed it and welded them together. I have the whole trunk screwed together. Once the quarters are on I'll start welding it all together

Trunk 050.jpg

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Don't know but my trunk pan was off center. Had to cut off one side and add to the other side to center it up. Darn aftermarket parts. Won't say where I got it, but it is where everyone else is ordering from. LOL.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Don't know but my trunk pan was off center. Had to cut off one side and add to the other side to center it up. Darn aftermarket parts. Won't say where I got it, but it is where everyone else is ordering from. LOL.
They are cut off center. I put the two halves in and screwed them to the inner wheel wells. Then screwed the two halves together. I ran my cut off wheel down the center of the overlap and welded them up. Here's a pic of it in place

Trunk 056.jpg

Back