• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

`70 road runner - finally getting to the restoration!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
They get as close as original as they can make it. Not many people would know the difference after car is finished.

torredcuda

Reaction score
"Spot weld drilling hell" continues, slow progress. Quarters and extensions showed up so I just need to keep at it.

20221117_120227.jpg

20221117_120209.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Went through a bunch of spot weld cutters also. HB freight ones. Cheap enough buy a hand full. It is bad that we get a brand-new piece of metal then drill a bunch of holes in it for spot welding it on. Don't make since. I found a spot weld tip for my Tig. welder from east wood. It worked pretty well once you learn your heat range and how long to hold the trigger on your tig. But the metal cannot be painted only weld through primer. Just ask me how I know. Always take some metal the same thick ness as the panel then try it first. Now the spot welding was the most frustrating have to grind down the spot welds and was so tired of all that grinding dust. It gets everywhere. Wore goggles and dust mask but it still got in my eyes and up my nose. LOL. So it is fun not for sure. But when you start to paint it and put it back together that was a lot more to my liking than the sheet metal work. Be safe and keep us up on the build. Measure twice and cut once. :thumbsup2:

MoparDan

Reaction score
Went through a bunch of spot weld cutters also. HB freight ones. Cheap enough buy a hand full. It is bad that we get a brand-new piece of metal then drill a bunch of holes in it for spot welding it on. Don't make since. I found a spot weld tip for my Tig. welder from east wood. It worked pretty well once you learn your heat range and how long to hold the trigger on your tig. But the metal cannot be painted only weld through primer. Just ask me how I know. Always take some metal the same thick ness as the panel then try it first. Now the spot welding was the most frustrating have to grind down the spot welds and was so tired of all that grinding dust. It gets everywhere. Wore goggles and dust mask but it still got in my eyes and up my nose. LOL. So it is fun not for sure. But when you start to paint it and put it back together that was a lot more to my liking than the sheet metal work. Be safe and keep us up on the build. Measure twice and cut once. :thumbsup2:
I've drilled over 200 holes in my trunk pan and as I'm drilling them I'm thinking "I have to weld each one of these"

Trunk 053.jpg

torredcuda

Reaction score
I found passenger outer wheel well damage from previous accident but again, should hammer and dolly out fine

20221125_152252.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Once we start taking the car apart, we find more. Yes, easy fix on that tow hook damage. Your guys are getting it done. Wish you the best of luck. :thumbsup2:

torredcuda

Reaction score
I knew the tow hook damage was there but didn`t see the wheel well crinkled until I cut off the quarter skin.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Replaced both rear outer wheel tubs. They were rotted to beat the band. So got new ones and cut the old and new and welded them on. The rot was where the quarter welded to them. So good luck on getting it straight of that one. Know your will get it done. :beep:IMG_0104.JPG

Last edited:

torredcuda

Reaction score
Comparing the AMD panel to some originals I found four obvious differences with the strengthening ribs. A little time with a propane torch, hammer and dolly and a body file fixed it up.

20221208_113747.jpg

Back