• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Question for You Hand Gun Aficionados

John69RR

Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
Would she be using this piece for target shooting, personal protection, or both? Any gun you purchase for her requires lots of practice - a semi auto, even more. For simplicity sake, I would recommend a .38 Special 2" like the Ruger 101, S&W model 36, Taurus 85, etc. Unless she is comfortable with recoil, stay away from the aluminum or polymer revolvers.
Most important is how comfortable she is and how it fits her hand.

That last statement means a lot. We went to a few gun shows and my wife liked the Walther PPK, a.k.a. the James Bond gun. The gun shoots very good and recoil is not bad.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
John69RR said:
roadrunnerh said:
Would she be using this piece for target shooting, personal protection, or both? Any gun you purchase for her requires lots of practice - a semi auto, even more. For simplicity sake, I would recommend a .38 Special 2" like the Ruger 101, S&W model 36, Taurus 85, etc. Unless she is comfortable with recoil, stay away from the aluminum or polymer revolvers.
Most important is how comfortable she is and how it fits her hand.

That last statement means a lot. We went to a few gun shows and my wife liked the Walther PPK, a.k.a. the James Bond gun. The gun shoots very good and recoil is not bad.

Mrs. Big John likes the PPK also. Best thing... her maiden name.... yep, it's Bond. One of her brothers was named James too....

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Took delivery of these two beauties just this afternoon. Thanks for everyone's input and advice. A special shout out goes to Steve (Dobie) for his patience and assistance as I asked him 42,000 questions and he never blinked even once... :lol:

Mrs. ACME got the P226 MK25 9mm. The SP2022 .40 S&W is mine. Yes, of course she got the more expensive one... :leave:

:jester:

Sigs-2-12-21-12.jpg

Sigs-1-12-21-12.jpg

dobie

Reaction score
They're beautiful!! Congrats Ray!! I truly believe you guys will enjoy them. Im insanely jealous of the Mk25. I'll pick one up eventually, although Im now on a hunt for a P226R DAK .40cal. I've got a few leads....

It was a pleasure talking to you over the last week. I definitely enjoyed our phone calls!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Nice, you can't go wrong with a Sig. Now maybe she will get that Red Rider air rifle with the compass in the stock you always wanted :jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Nice, you can't go wrong with a Sig. Now maybe she will get that Red Rider air rifle with the compass in the stock you always wanted :jester:

You'll shoot your eye out, kid... :basketcase:

Big John

Reaction score
:party:

Now get out to the range and throw lead at some targets!

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
Now get out to the range and throw lead at some targets!

I put the Sig for the Mrs. under the tree. Told her that I was going to the shooting range today to get acquanted with my new sidearm. Judging by the icy stare that I initially received, as well as some choice commentary thereafter, I'm guessing that it is safer for me to go buy that A100 P/U I've always wanted without her blessing than to head to the range without her... :basketcase:

:jester:

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":18elzbpn]Now get out to the range and throw lead at some targets!

I put the Sig for the Mrs. under the tree. Told her that I was going to the shooting range today to get acquanted with my new sidearm. Judging by the icy stare that I initially received, as well as some choice commentary thereafter, I'm guessing that it is safer for me to go buy that A100 P/U I've always wanted without her blessing than to head to the range without her... :basketcase:

:jester:[/quote:18elzbpn]

Well..... I found it's tough to go to the range without Mrs. Big John too. But, if you're like me, it's hard to multitask, helping her and trying to do some serious shootin' yourself.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Paint a target on the side of your shop, your yard is big enough :jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I don't think my Mrs needs a gun. when we first got together, we were talking about abusive spouses. She looked at me dead serious and said "If you ever hit me, it better do the job, cause you gotta go to sleep sometime" :bricks:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
I don't think my Mrs needs a gun. when we first got together, we were talking about abusive spouses. She looked at me dead serious and said "If you ever hit me, it better do the job, cause you gotta go to sleep sometime" :bricks:
:crazy: :eek:

Back