• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Question for You Hand Gun Aficionados

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday Mrs. ACME went to the firing range with eldest daughter and her boyfriend, and a friend of the boyfriend. She sampled several of their pistols, but raved about the boyfriend's friend's Sig Sauer 9mm. I think it mainly had to do with limited recoil and her ability to therefore exert greater control and maintain accuracy. She would like to have one, and I am thinking about getting her one ***those of you that know her and are questioning the sanity of my thought process can address this issue separately :lol: :lol: :lol: *** so I have a few questions:

I looked on their website - way too many models for someone that is not gun-savy like me to sift through. Any thoughts on a particular model(s) that I should look at?

Other makes that behave similarly but are perhaps a better buy?

New versus used?

Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

:jester:
ACME

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Sigs are very good but I don't own one. I am on a Springfield Armory kick right now I love my XDM 9mm, 19 rounds to boot. Dobie can probably give you some Sig input or if you have a store and range combo they will let you try several. We got the Mrs. a Ruger 357 mag hammerless revolver, just a point and pull so there is nothing to think about in a pinch and its loaded with 38 specials to reduce recoil. Used is a good way to go if you can find what you want. Sanity :lol:

dobie

Reaction score
Hey guys. Congrats on the Mrs. shooting. That's great. And its a great excuse to spend some money! Anyways, I love my Sigs. I've had plenty, and I've never had an issue. The P226 is the full size model, currently in use by the Navy Seals and several other elite units. The P229 is a smaller, compact version. The 239 is a single stack, smaller, compact pistol. The P229 replaced the P228 some years ago. The P228 has a cult like following. I've had several and really like them. That said, I liked my P229 just as much. I carried my P229 for a year off duty, but it was a tad big and heavy for my liking. Between the 226 and the 228/229, its a toss up. Id suggest letting her handle both to see what she prefers.

There is another option....the Sig Pro 2022. The 2022 is a polymer pistol, similar in size to the 228/229. Its currently regarded as one of the most underrated pistols on the market. The double action trigger is also regarded as being smoother than the P series pistols. Fantastic pistols really. I have one currently and wouldn't part with it.

As you're probably aware, standard Sigs have a DA/SA trigger. No external safties; just a decocker. Nothing wrong with this set up at all, provided she becomes familiar with the trigger. I prefer this set up over the Glock type trigger.

dobie

Reaction score
I'm posting from my phone, so its easier to split my post...

New vs. used is always a toss up. With proper maintenance a Sign will outlast us id say. Sigs used to be a pretty good value, but like everything else the cost has increased. I'm not sure id pay almost $1k for a new Sig. When looking for used P series, you'll notice some will be advertised as West German. These are considered the best, and as such command a higher price. Typically I prefer W. German varients myself. Nothing really wrong though with the current ones. Just personal preference. Some of the 2022 will be listed as all German. Triple serial numbers and triple proof marked. Mine is such an example, with the addition of a special coating only available in Germany. Its called Ilaflon. Very much like a Teflon coating. Definitely a sweet pistol.

For new pricing, check out topgunsupply.com here in Ohio. Great people and good pricing. Summitgunbroker.com is also a good source of new and used Sigs. I've bought from both, and would highly recommend either.

For something other than Sig, id look at the M&P series from Smith and Wesson. I have a full size 9mm which stays in my nightstand. The big draw to these are the interchangeable back straps. A huge plus in finding that perfect fit. They are available with or without external safeties. The trigger isn't ad good though as other makes, although the aftermarket has some good items to greatly improve it. Mine however is bone stock. No issues at all. Another plus is the cost. New ones will run about $500, versus $800-900 for a new Sig.

I hope I haven't totally confused you. Please feel free to ask away, or send me a PM. You're more than welcome to call me too if you still have my number.

:cheers:

dobie

Reaction score
Check out sigforum.com for other opinions and information. I post there under the same name, dobie.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Great that Mrs. Acme went shooting!!

From dealing with Mrs. Big John, I can tell you one HUGE thing is how it fits and feels in their hand. If they don't like to shoot it, they won't. If the SIG fits, go for it. Get her shooting is the main thing.

Oh yeah... go out and do some shooting yourself. It's really a fun thing for a couple.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
We got the Mrs. a Ruger 357 mag hammerless revolver, just a point and pull so there is nothing to think about in a pinch and its loaded with 38 specials to reduce recoil. Used is a good way to go if you can find what you want. Sanity :lol:

:yeathat:

Mrs. Big John has a snub nose .38 that she carries and loves to shoot my .357 GP100 Ruger with .38 specials.

You can't beat a revolver for keeping things simple.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:
We got the Mrs. a Ruger 357 mag hammerless revolver, just a point and pull so there is nothing to think about in a pinch and its loaded with 38 specials to reduce recoil. Used is a good way to go if you can find what you want. Sanity :lol:

:yeathat:

Mrs. Big John has a snub nose .38 that she carries and loves to shoot my .357 GP100 Ruger with .38 specials.

You can't beat a revolver for keeping things simple.
Hers is an SP101 nice conceal carry outfit and yes we also enjoy shooting together.

dobie

Reaction score
I had a 3" SP 101 with an exposed hammer. I liked it, but didn't really fulfill any roll so I sold it to fund my RR.

V269

Reaction score
Boy, it sure sounds like the gun laws are alot more relaxed in the US than they are here in Canada. I too had many handguns over the years and I was one of the guys that got our local gun club to start a handgun club. We have to have a handgun permit just to own one and when we go to the club to shoot we have to have a special permit to convey to the club. We also can NOT carry these handgun's at any other time. They are a concealed weapon and without the proper permits they are illegal to own. You are not even to take them outside your home without the permit. I sold all of mine for the simple reason that it is a PITA and too much red tape to have one. I would love to have another one but you can be assured that if I do it won't have any paperwork attached to it. I enjoyed shooting mine but it just isn't worth the trouble any more. Too many damm rules up here.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
V269 said:
Boy, it sure sounds like the gun laws are alot more relaxed in the US than they are here in Canada. I too had many handguns over the years and I was one of the guys that got our local gun club to start a handgun club. We have to have a handgun permit just to own one and when we go to the club to shoot we have to have a special permit to convey to the club. We also can NOT carry these handgun's at any other time. They are a concealed weapon and without the proper permits they are illegal to own. You are not even to take them outside your home without the permit. I sold all of mine for the simple reason that it is a PITA and too much red tape to have one. I would love to have another one but you can be assured that if I do it won't have any paperwork attached to it. I enjoyed shooting mine but it just isn't worth the trouble any more. Too many damm rules up here.
Ken, do the bad guys follow those rules :rules:

V269

Reaction score
No Bob they don't. It's just the guy's like me that are getting screwed and we can't do a thing about it. It's only going to make a lot more criminals out of the good guy's that don't want to play their rule game. It's already going on. :facepalm:

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Sigs are very good but I don't own one. I am on a Springfield Armory kick right now I love my XDM 9mm, 19 rounds to boot. Dobie can probably give you some Sig input or if you have a store and range combo they will let you try several. We got the Mrs. a Ruger 357 mag hammerless revolver, just a point and pull so there is nothing to think about in a pinch and its loaded with 38 specials to reduce recoil. Used is a good way to go if you can find what you want. Sanity :lol:
That XDM is sweet, my friend has one.feels real good in your hand. If I wanted a nine that would be the one. I'm stuck on my Kimber for now though. :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
69hemibeep said:
That XDM is sweet, my friend has one.feels real good in your hand. If I wanted a nine that would be the one. I'm stuck on my Kimber for now though. :thumbsup:
Kind of funny, my older brother bought it put custom sights and grips on it and couldn't shoot it straight, so I got a bargain and it fits perfect and it shoots just great. :loco:

Jim S.

Reaction score
Nothing to add here but, baffoonery. This summer I bought a H&K compact .40 cal to replace the Glock model 22 .40 cal as my carry weapon. A little pricey but, man do I love that gun. :yesnod:
Yes the wife has her carry permit and a Ruger LCR .22 revolver. I sleep with one eye open. No I take that back, haven't slept since. :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Nothing to add here but, baffoonery. This summer I bought a H&K compact .40 cal to replace the Glock model 22 .40 cal as my carry weapon. A little pricey but, man do I love that gun. :yesnod:
Yes the wife has her carry permit and a Ruger LCR .22 revolver. I sleep with one eye open. No I take that back, haven't slept since. :lol:
:lmao: Ray can sleep on the road :lol:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Would she be using this piece for target shooting, personal protection, or both? Any gun you purchase for her requires lots of practice - a semi auto, even more. For simplicity sake, I would recommend a .38 Special 2" like the Ruger 101, S&W model 36, Taurus 85, etc. Unless she is comfortable with recoil, stay away from the aluminum or polymer revolvers.
Most important is how comfortable she is and how it fits her hand.

Back