• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An automatic conversion to 4spd in 70 RR?

woodwiz

Reaction score
Got the crazy idea of converting to 4pd from torqueflite. So far all i know is it has always been an auto,so says the fender tag.The 383 is not #'s matching and i am not worried about it's value down the road,it will stay in the family when i'm done caring for it..(Lucky daughter)! Can the swap be done fairly cost effective or is it just not worth the hassles that will come with the swap?.....Thanks!

quikbird

Reaction score
They do. Think it’s brewersperformance.com
I just checked and they do have a kit. Without all your specifics couldn’t get a price. I didn’t realize they were here in Ohio. Learn something new every day.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I did the conversion on my brothers Challenger and Brewers even included the carpet because he wanted the squeaky console to go away.

woodwiz

Reaction score
I looked at the site and that conversion 4pd833 looks pretty nice.
Just wondering if it’s plug and play or am I forgetting to add the possibility of adding additional components driveshaft,tranny support bracket etc.?
Could be a very costly project and it surely won’t make it faster,just maybe a little more fun to drive. Anybody else taken on this conversion?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You have to cut the floor and weld in a 4spd hump and also weld a Z-bar bracket on the frame

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The drive shaft is the same. It don't change. The Z bar bracket is not that big of a deal. Was it a manual at first and someone put an auto in it. If not then you will need the clutch pedal and the right brake pedal. So may be the best thing to keep your automatic.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I have automatic in my ford ranger. The F350 is a five speed manual. Like both for sure. But cruse control on the ranger and spoiled driving it. Automatic's will out shift a four speed. It is all in what you want. So have fun and enjoy the car. Russ.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Yeah for sure Russ. It’s that can of worms thing,open1 be prepared to open another,and another etc. I’ve got a great quality driver which in it self is kinda rare for a 51yr old muscle car.
Drive it and smile….I shall.
Thanks for your support!

James Kelly Heaton

Old Runner Lover. Building a 68 6.4 Hemi TR6060
Reaction score
I'm doing the same conversion on my tired bird. It was a 383 727. I got the hump (125), found a guy with pedals/Zbar (300), paid 600 for a used 833. Paid another 800 to get it rebuilt locally, paid 300 for the bellhousing, another 300 for the clutch and flywheel (for a forged crank 440) another 550 for the Hurst Comp Plus shifter and install linkage kit.

Now I have almost 3 grand in a 4 speed that has no Overdrive. With a 3.23:1 - Posi Diff, 70 MPH is probably going to be around 2800 RPM. In Texas most freeway speeds are 75 - 80 to keep from getting run over. That is higher than I want to cruise at for more than a few miles. American Powertrain will sell a TKO500 or 600 with OD so you can cruise at 70- 80 at 2100-2200 RPM. The cost is about 3500 and everything is new. With the TKO OD is about .62:1, so you can run a 373 or even a 391 and still not be over 2300 RPM

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Are you putting console in and bucket seat's. Add another two grand for console and the shifter. Could not believe how much just those part's are. Not bad on the transmission. But sad that you had to have it rebuilt. These mopar part's are not that cheap and getting worst all the time. Good luck and keep us up on the build.

James Kelly Heaton

Old Runner Lover. Building a 68 6.4 Hemi TR6060
Reaction score
No to the console and yes to buckets. Not using OEM Buckets. Couldn't find them in decent condition, found them to be outrageous for rusted junk needing full foams and upholstery. I scoured junk yards and found the best fitting size came out of a 2008 Solara (6 way power). Had them reupholstered to match the 1968 pearl white vinyl Legendary rear seat, door panels and white perforated headliner. It will have bright blue exterior and interior trim, carpet and dash. Its got a long way to go. Had it media blasted and put a coat of epoxy on it to keep it from rusting.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I am with you on the original seat's. Went with a set of Scat seat's from summit. Have head rest like came in the car. Still manual to operate them but full recline. Lumbar support. When you get time give us and up date of pic's. :thumbsup:

MoparDan

Reaction score
Another thing no one has mentioned is rear end ratio. Most automatics had a 323. That may be a little tall for a manual. I'm going to a 373 on my 512 stroker.

woodwiz

Reaction score
My 727torqueflite just had a service done on it and was told that in the near future a rebuild will be in order. That cost rolled into what all the 4spd conversion will cost and i'd be shelling out about 1k.but it may not be worth it still. The 4spd conversion is strictly a pure fun thing for me. Like they say"Gotta pay for your pleasure".
Any thoughts on those B&M/Hurst auto shifters on the floor? Saw one in a 70 Bee and it was one of the aluminum based ones,done nicely.

Back