• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have a pic of a 69 Runner with a Superbird wing?

hotrod98

Reaction score
I have an extra Superbird wing and I've been thinking about putting it on my 69 runner just for grins. My wife is absolutely crazy about wing cars (she bought a Daytona pickup because of the wing) and she's anxious for me to finish her 70 Superbird clone. That's going to be at least a year away though and she's asked me to put one of the wings on our 69 for now. I would paint it B5 blue to match and then make a custom decal for it that leaves out the Superbird lettering. I have several sets of the wing braces lying around so that detail is covered.
My wife had to retire recently due to an illness and I tend to do pretty much whatever she asks. At least she didn't ask me to put a Superbird wing on her Cuda.
I can always remove it later and weld up the holes. I own a resto company so obviously that won't be a problem.
Anyway, I've never seen a 69 with a SB wing. I have a couple of pics of a 68 GTX with a wing, but with all of the extra trim, they just don't look the same as the 69's.
I've been told that there are several of them out there, but don't remember ever seeing a pic of one.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
There was a '68 road runner that I saw at The Nats a couple years in a row back in the '80s. It had a chin spoiler, and the Plymouth lettering on the 1/4s. I liked it myself.
The SB wing looks better on a '68-'69 than the '70 Go Wing.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Nah, I wouldn't do it. I don't mind clones like 70 Satellites over to Superbirds or 69 Chargers over to Daytonas but I don't like seeing wings put on cars that aren't going to be full conversions to one of the winged warriors. Sides.. they don't do you any good until like 130mph. Fwiw, I love seeing superbird clones since it's about the only way the avg schmuck like me could ever get a winged Mopar, but I don't think the wing on the RR would be cool. Just my two cents! By the way, welcome to the board! :wave:

hotrod98

Reaction score
Here's the 68 GTX with a Superbird wing. I think a wing will look better on a plain Jane 69 like mine, especially painted to match.
I have a real Superbird wing, but I'm saving it for the 70 Superbird clone that we're building later on.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
OK, call me nuts, but I think it looks cool! I like the wings way more than the noses.

me too! There used to be a '70 Charger same color as my car that had a Daytona wing. Looked good except fot the big Tweety Birds on the wing........ :eek:

how 'bout some details on the '68?........and more pics please!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I rememebr seeing that one somewhere. didn't care for that one, might have just been the two tone.

hotrod98

Reaction score
The pics of the yellow car were on a website somewhere. May have been on e-bay. Just can't remember.

The coronet with the daytona wing has a cuda back glass. The glass looks a little small but not all that bad really.

We carefully set the wing on the roadrunner yesterday and my wife held it while I stood back and looked at it. Personally, I think it will look great. I already had some B5 blue single stage urethane, but I need to tint it to match this car. Might get time to paint and install this weekend. If so, I'll post some pics.

hotrod98

Reaction score
Whatever happened to the Charger convertible that the guy was building? He was using a 69 coronet convertible and changed out the rear quarters, trunk and tail panel. Seems like the doors and front sheet metal bolted right up.
I just looked and I don't have any pics of it.
Of course the Super Charger gives you kind of an Idea of what it would look like.
Stuart, do you have pics of a convertible Daytona?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
anyone know what happened to the '68 Charger convertible the charger designer was building? I saw it for sale after he died.

Back