• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running a new 5 speed setup?

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Whats the Pros and Cons of this. I am considering the switch. :cheers:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Pro is that you can have a car that accelerates like the hammers of hell and yet can still get out on the highway without spinning the piss out of the engine...

The Con is that anyway you slice it you're looking at spending $4K or more depending on the brand and or kit you select...

mjoyner408

Reaction score
... and if you are gonna spend that much look into a 6 speed. nothing like the .58 6th gear.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I have talked with a guy who did up a 67 Charger with a 528 Hemi and the 5 speed. The problem he has is he can't shift it quickly. It seems that the trans won't let you bang gears like you can in a 4 speed car. Its also not as durable. You shouldn't rev it up and dump the clutch or you might be picking up a lot of pieces in a bushel basket.

mjoyner408

Reaction score
i have to search every time i bring it up but there is a cat in a yellow viper running... 7 sec passes i think, and he has a stock 6 speed. i am not real familier with the old 4 speeds but i would would be real suprised if they could keep up with that. there is a shop here that sells 5 and 6 speeds with the 3rd gen hemis and they say they are real strong... i cannot remember what the makes are tho... i will ask next time i am in there.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I'm talking about the new Tremec 5 speed conversions that have been so popular. It could be that they have been beefed up and improved.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
I have talked with a guy who did up a 67 Charger with a 528 Hemi and the 5 speed. The problem he has is he can't shift it quickly. It seems that the trans won't let you bang gears like you can in a 4 speed car. Its also not as durable. You shouldn't rev it up and dump the clutch or you might be picking up a lot of pieces in a bushel basket.
That surprises me, but that's nothing new. I was just at the stick shift drags and the mustangs are using their stock tranny (late 80's models) which I think is the same make isn't it? Those little cars are impressive, leaving the line with the front tires off the ground, banging second and pulling the tires up again and running mid 10's........wow

zupanj

Reaction score
I have some experience with this. I have a 427 Cobra replica with a Tremec TKOII 5 speed. This is a tough transmission and you won't easily tear it up but it is slow and hard to shift. I put in a different shift mecanism which helped but it's still not great. I don't remember what my overdrive gear is but it's not the real high one, maybe 0.85:1 or something like that. This works very well and reduces engine speed quite a bit. There is a much higher overdrive gear, ~0.69:1 if I recall. That is too much of a jump when you go from 1:1 to 0.69:1. A lot of people on the Cobra sites reported as a pain in the ass. I guess if you want a quiet engine on the highway that's one thing but it seems like a lot of folks think gas mileage with these high overdrive gears. Why would anyone with cars like ours care about gas mileage is beyond me. I get 8 mph on a good day with the Cobra and I expect worse when the Roadrunner is back in business.

I also considered this for my hemi conversion but there were two reasons I didn't. One, I don't like the feel of the Tremec as much as the Mopar four speed or a Ford toploader for that matter. Two, you have to cut up the trans tunnel and weld in a different one. I didn't want to do that to my car.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Isn't there a tranny that was a 5 speed advertised that it had stock shifter location and you didn't have cut up the car,I have been told the tremac is based on a GM truck design thats why they shift slow,don't know if its true just what I heard.

zupanj

Reaction score
You could be correct about the shifter location but it's not Keisler. There is a relatively new company that advertises in the Mopar mags but I can't remember their name. They may have something.

mjoyner408

Reaction score
search street dodge viper 1700 hoursepower. it is an in car vid

toms69rr

Reaction score
Not to steal the post
But kind of fluid in your 4/5 speeds, do you guys like to run?
Synthetic
Gear oil
Automatic transmission

Back