• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Glasspacks really the sh*t?

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Heard so much about em, but don't really know of anyone with em down under, so I've never heard em in the flesh. Do they really sound like Thunder? do they have that annoying drone?
I'm considering putting them on my freshly-tickled 440, with a full 3"system.
I'm all for loud, obnoxious, in-your-face, over-the-top exhaust sound, and have heard that these are the way to go.
any videos much appreciated!

droptop

Reaction score
.........loud, obnoxious, in-your-face, over-the-top exhaust sound......

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. They are not that loud when they are new, but just wait a couple of weeks for all the glass to get blown out of them.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
find a pair of Thrush mufflers, I could rattle the windows all the time.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and loud...my Uncle used to cut one apart and gut it to make them even louder...but give the appearance to the cops that a muffler was present.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
and loud...my Uncle used to cut one apart and gut it to make them even louder...but give the appearance to the cops that a muffler was present.

"my Uncle"... Sure. Just be honest. You know that we already know that it was you... :bs_flag:

:poke:

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
no really, it was Jim. I found it easier just to put them on backwards, had the same effect.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Do they really lose their sound that quick, or do you just get over the noise?

Im after something non-restrictive, with plenty of balls. Anything else out there flt the bill?

Dibbons

Reaction score
Glass pack mufflers never drone, that's why I like 'em. Currently have a pair of Purple Hornies on my '72 SSP. They are fairly quiet at speed/cruise, a little loud upon acceleration. I put a pair of Thrush mufflers on my parents new '71 Road Runner 383 auto back in the day. These were the Thrush model without the fiberglass packing, so there was never anything to "blow out" or "burn out". A friend at Fremont Raceway told me he could hear the '71 Road Runner alongside other vehicles with open headers, so the Thrush are certainly noisy under acceleration. Never personally got a ticket for noise during the two years I drove the new '71 to high school. However, the friend my parents sold it to was soon ticketed and put the factory mufflers back on.

Here is a sound bite of the Purple Hornies on my stock 318 (was blue now painted bahama yellow).

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I've been refraining from posting on this one... But what the hell...

OK, what do you want? Noise or power?

If you are looking for the least amount of restriction, the glass pack isn't the way to go. It's been proven 40 years ago that they restricted flow and killed horsepower. It's old technology and laughable on a serious car.

Probably the best compromise on noise and power would be a Flowmaster. The 40 and 44 are supposed to be high flow with a lot of noise. I think the 10 is their race car muffler.

I have no idea what the laws are in Sydney ( I assume Australia and not Sydney, NY) so I can't address what level of noise you can "get away with". I assume you have to have something on there to drive on the road. Where I live, I have found the less amount of attention that I drew to myself, the more the cops left me alone. That means a quiet car etc. Quite frankly, the fastest street cars in my neck of the woods were always muffled down well. The obnoxiously loud cars were usually slow. Feel free to draw analogies to people here.

If you really want it "obnoxious and loud", why run mufflers in the first place? Or why not go to electric cutouts for the exhaust?

quikbird

Reaction score
That is what I used. Electric cut outs and warlock mufflers. Reasonably quiet on street and noisy when I want it to be.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
some people don't need loud pipes to be obnoxious......BAM!!!!!!!(in memory of Adam West)

Last edited:

dmartin

Reaction score
Yeah I have the 40 series flow masters and you can barely have a conversation in my car let alone listen to the radio course my radio is just for looks anyway except for the light

Ranger

Reaction score
I will also vouch for the Flowmaster 40 series. I don't know if I'd call them "obnoxious" (that term can vary from person to person), but they ARE loud. Nice rumble at idle and a steady roar on the highway. Radio needs to be up almost to max to hear it on the road. There is a drone at about 1800 RPM. I am told a crossover pipe will cure that.

Back