• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bearings changes noise completely gone

nicanor

Reaction score
Thank you for the help.

There never was any forged piston noise. We changed all the bearings only the main bearings were installed incorrectly.

We flushed the engine, inspected the piston and cylinder walls, installed all the new bearings added oil and a new filter started the engine and all the noise is gone. No clutch noise, no piston noise and no oil pan noise. I'll test drive it and put some miles on the car before I know for sure its fixed.

We did start the car with fresh oil, warmed up the car, then flushed the oil out and changed the filter again. I know we might not have gotten all the particles out, so I'll change the oil again very soon and look for metal particles.

They were surprised that I didn't spin a bearing with the oil supply hole on the bottom half bearing.

Thanks again for the help,
Barry

mcmopar

Reaction score
Make sure your oil has a high zinc content or use a zinc additive. Can't hurt.
Another way to collect the loose metal that may be in the engine is using a magnetic drain plug. One of those bad boys will really pull the shavings out of the engine fast.

Jim S.

Reaction score
Magnetic drain plug is great advice. Been using one ever since I lost a cam about 5 years ago. Luckily the engine has been fine and I credit numerous oil change flushes and the mag. drain plug....

moparchris

Reaction score
Sounds like the engine builder should put down the Jack Daniels when he's assembling motors. :lol: I wonder how many other minor mistakes he made.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Sounds like the engine builder should put down the Jack Daniels when he's assembling motors. :lol: I wonder how many other minor mistakes he made.

X2

This is what is known as a ticking time bomb...

nicanor

Reaction score
I used a zinc additive when I put the engine in, broke it in a little chaanged the oil and put in a zinc additive again. I also used the VR1 oil with the zinc additive.

I drove this car up to the Spring Fling and back which is a 300 mile round trip. No one knows why this engine didn't come apart except maybe for the ziinc additive.

I do have a magnetic drag plug.

Thank you for all the advise,
Barry

Back